Slowly rebuilding my saltwater tank

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Awesome work so far! I tried to read through everything, but I might have missed a detail. Do you have any sort of check valve or siphon break on the return lines? If not, I'm assuming the water will drain down to the level of the top return line in the tank before it breaks the siphon when the return pump is turned off. It looks like the sump should handle that much water but it's worth testing if you haven't done so already. Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying all of the DIY.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Static Reef, that is good idea on the snap lock valve! I honestly did buy the pvc valve but it would not fit between the bulk heads. Could not find good specs on the size for it. And it's a tight fit anyways. So I attached the valve on the back to shut off water flow to prevent the return to not siphon back when pumps are off for cleaning. Going be bit more pricy since will need the pliers lol. Snapping the nozzles and the MTP adapter together was a pain!

Halmus, the check valve I totally agree with. I actually was going add one, but two hardware stores I went to both were sold out! But the design has threaded points so once I get one, I will add it. Since I do fear the siphon effect would flood over the sump. But I agree, I should test it and see what would happen. At least testing if gets to high I can just shut the valve and not flood the floor. But would be great to know either way.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Well darn, noticed that my dry box area for the water return is not really that dry. Water levels are even on both sides. Don't want water to build up there and grow tons of algae and stuff. So get to drain the tank all the way this weekend and another attempt to sealing it. I notice the overflow box leaked a little too, but not like shrimp can escape through a pin hole (before I had a shrimp that preferred the sump and as soon as I put him back, he would go right to the overflow pipe and go right in! so made sure full box made this time). I believe the water pressure bowed the acrylic. Should have gotten thicker. But I have tons of PVC left overs, so going make some braces, glue those in, then reseal. Betting that will do the trick. If not, might just have to buy more acrylic that is thicker (and black paint, darn mixed up paint caps!).

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
So, everything setup, filled with fresh water. Going down, barely worked, added air valve and there was just an small air-pocket. But now works perfectly. Filled up sump, turned on skimmer and reactor to fill those up. Add more water to get set for return flow and all I got was a couple bubbles. Luckily my improved design verses last time, I had no issues or things go pop from back pressure.Either one of the soft tubes kinked, or the check valve is not working well. Due to the male and female threading I attached to make it connect to the plumping, I know it's the correct direction. But of course, tank's full, and it sits next to a wall. Draining it back down. So close to completion.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Sigh.. Murphy's law lives well. Got side track just with work, studies, and family life. But of course, my return pump decided to not return anymore. Sooo close to being ready for cycling the tank. But tested the new pump for my reactor, and it actually worked well (almost same specs as old one that died, but smaller, less watts, and really silent). Ordered new pump.