The new triangle tank

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Hello,
I am new to posting on the site but i have enjoyed reading everyones comments from the club for about a year or so. I have been running 3 reef tanks with all high end corals (chalices polyps and various types of SPS's) for years and have recently sold my 180 and my 70 gallon frag tank. I am away from the home quite frequently and the wife needs a break. We have decided to turn our 150 gallon into a FOWLR and move all of the corals into a 3-400 gallon triangle tank with 2 built in 15 gallon quarantine tanks (one for fish and one for new corals. The plumbing will be full of ball valves, to allow the tanks to be run independently while waiting to make sure that everything is healthy before adding to the main tank. Hope I haven't lost anyone yet. The lights will be three evo 200's from reefkoi with the whites turned down to half power for the crisp look of all the corals.
The plumbing will be a little more complicated than normal because i have decided to run 3 different tanks underneath for the top off, refugium, and the sump. Hooking all of this up to the quarantine tanks will be a mixture of return pumps and gravity. The main return pump will be an exterior ran little giant, probably around 2,000 gph.
So i know that it sounds like i have everything figured out right? WRONG. LOL. I cannot figure out the water flow within the main tank. The dimensions of the tank are 5.5', by 5', with 7.5' of glass that you can see through (the 5' and the 5.5' sides will be against the walls at a 90 degree angle. Trying to meet the criteria of 50 x's the water volume is proving to be a little tricky. I am trying to get the right wave motion for all of the SPS. My original thought is using 2 mp40's and a tunze wavebox. Wavebox in the 90 degree corner of the tank pushing towards the show side of the glass. Then having the one of the mp40's against the wall and the other on the opposite side.
Please let me know if you need more info from me before giving me any advice on my problem. I guess i could make a diagram of the main tank. I appreciate any resolutions.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Sounds like a cool project, good luck.

*in for pics*

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can't wait for pics.

Water flow will be really tricky, but should be doable. Can't wait to see it.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
ok i figured i needed to make a diagram. that's see if this helps. does this look right? or do i need to change my plan. if my plan is right then does anyone have any recommendations on how to run these together to get a nice oscillating effect.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
alright well i didn't get much help on the flow situation for the tank however, i have decided to go with the 2 mp40's and the tunze wavebox. I think that with the collaboration of the returns, and the 2 wave crashing that i will have a great mix of directions. The stand is being built and will be dropped off this coming sunday. The tank just showed up yesterday with a brand new buff job. On saturday the basement was reinforced with 3 adjustable poles ($180 total, well worth the peace of mind). the tank has a new addition of two separate quarantine tanks that will be attached to the main plumbing with numerous ball valves to watch all the new critters for a few weeks. SOMUCH STUFF TO DO. PLUMBING WILL BE 80 % COMPLETE by wednesday. phosban reactors will be linked together to run off of one 250 gph mag drive submersible pump on thursday. The refugium and top off acrylic tanks will be built throughout the week. I bought the precut acrylic from a builder off of ebay to my exact dimensions. The hope is to have rock, sand and water running in the tank by next monday. I will add pictures as i go.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Here is a before and after of the reinforcment of the basement.[attachment=62702:name]
my house was built to withstand around 50 lbs. a square foot. I did the math and figured that i will be around 214 lbs. per square foot (over 3000 lbs. total). Each pole is rated to 14,000 lbs. Granted I might have gone a little over kill but this is better the floors sagging. The bottoms of the poles sit on concrete and the top is pushed into 2 2x12's that lie under the ceiling joists. Whole job only took about an 1.5 hours with a little help from the mrs. and a 48" level/rubber mallet.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
[attachment=62783:name]

ok so here are some updated photos
The wife decided that the carpet needed to be changed before the new tank came in. Therefore she knocked the ball valve completely off of my 150 gallon newly premixed saltwater all over the center of the living room floor 3 days ago. So the tank build went on hold and after 10 stitches in my left hand from loosing a fight with a circular saw the floors are complete. The tank is painted on both the back sides that will be next to the 90 degree walls. Plumbing is 90 % done with the small exceptions of actually linking all the filtrations to the main tank. The stand will be delivered tonight from an amazing welder that is local in the springs area (who provided tons of patience for all of my custom changes). More on the stand to follow. The sump is a 40 gallon that will house the calcium reactor, bio media, return pump to the quarantine tank, 4 150 phosban reactors that are all linked together ( 2 running carbon and 2 running phosphate remover) and the reeflo marlin return pump. The refugium kit and auto top off tank have not come in the mail yet. The live rock is in the process of being drilled to make the placement of corals easier and more plentiflul. More pictures will come when i take a small break tomorrow. Wish me luck.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I moved your thread to the Tank Builds thread instead of Expert Info. Please let me know if you have any questions.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
yeah brother the stand is up after a little bit of on site mods for extra space for plumbing. 90% of the water is in with about half the live rock and sand. I spent the day adding new flooring to the base of the stand so that the filtration isn't sitting on the new floors. Now it's a waiting game for water perameters. In the mean time I will be hooking up all the mechanical filters, refugium, and quarantine tanks. I think that i am going to use dave again to make a canopy to hang all three evo 200 dimmables and 3 48' slims. Just dont feel like making the canopy out of wood. The doors will be added here and there. The focus now is water quality. So I can start filling with the corals.[attachment=62787:name]

Looks awesome JJ. I cannot wait to see the progress. I am sure that Amber is chomping at the bit my friend! It is going to be awesome!

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Static hi!
Looks great so far! Can't wait to see more.
Can I ask who did the acrylic for your build? I am going to do a triangle for my next tank and was wondering who you used and what they charged?
Thanks!
Dave

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Static,

Are you in the Springs? I can't wait to see this beast up and running. I helped Trish move that thing into her basement.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
hey how are u. Actually this was a craigslist buy.good luck finding a descent place in the springs to build a nice tank. Denver has a spot although i cannot remember the name. sorry