The new triangle tank

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
k mellon i am in the springs and yes you are right i got this monster from trish. lol give me a month or so and I will try to set up some time for you to come over and see it

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
thanks for the nice words and glad you guys like it. I am tired of it.lol what a plumbing nightmare. Almost done however and now we are ust trying to get through the ammonia and nitrite swings.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
my bad reefmaster. I missed the back half of your statement. we fit around 285 gallons in it with 275 lbs. of live rock and a 3.5 " sand bed. Can't figure out the exact size because the corners do not make up an equal triangle. length x base x width doesn't compute correctly

reefkoi

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I think an easy way to measure is fill it to a certain point then drain it down 1" and measure then another and re-measure and then just multiply that by the total water level height should get you real close.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
    • 1 Choose your unit of measurement. (use inches)
    • 2 Measure the length (l) of the prism.
    • 3 Measure the base (b) of the prism, sometimes called the width. This will be perpendicular to the height of the prism.
    • 4 Measure the height (h) of the prism. Height is the altitude of the triangle and is perpendicular to the base.
    • 5 Multiply the 3 dimensions together. It does not matter the order in which you multiply the numbers.
    • 6 Divide that answer by 2.
    • 7 Write you answer in the proper cubic units (again inches)

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
[attachment=62829:name]
ok as promised here are some more updates from the beast in my living room. total water volume is 318 gallons give or take a few due to live rock and sand. I decided to go to a deep sand bed. Mostly for show. the majority of the rock is drilled and in the tank now. I only have one of the 3 lights resting on the top of the tank that will actually be up there once the canopy is finished. The sump, calc reactor, bio reactors, carbon reactors, skimmers, wavebox, blowers, and heaters, and main return pump are all installed. The water flow is really moving now. All of the acrylic just showed up and i stayed up late last night and assembled the auto top of tank (20 gallon) and the refugium (30 gallon). It was fairly simple to build with great instructions. Not to mention a fraction of the price, if it stands up to the water test tomorrow night. We have decided to add a 102.5 gallon frag flat as well. I will be building the stand the stand for the quarantine tanks that will connect the main tank to the quarantine to the frag flat with the capability of disconnecting the quarantine tank from the main system while it is being used.

Total water volume of the system will be
318 display
50 sump
15 skimmer/reactors/plumbing
40 quarantine tanks (total)
102 frag flat
30 refugium
555 total water volume
I already took into account for all the live rock etc.... and of course i didn't add the 20 for the fresh water auto top off tank. The next step will be to add corals, few more pieces of the live rock (drilled), and a few fish once the water is finished with the swings.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool, looks like it is coming along nicely.

static reef;201626 said:
k mellon i am in the springs and yes you are right i got this monster from trish. lol give me a month or so and I will try to set up some time for you to come over and see it

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
wow. nice!

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
ok i just introduced a few corals a few days ago and waited very impatiently. after watching the development and polyp extension we now have every coral in the display. around 350 corals. don't worry they are all just bigger than frag size. The frag flat will be finished next week and then we can get the corals that will be just for trading/selling back in there.Just introduced the blue ribbon eel that i won on the live auction (thanks josh this thing is sick). send up some pictures in a few.