Thoughts on fake coral decor

So I just wanted to get ur opinion. I have a 75 gal fowl setup. I have been thinking of adding some fake coral decor into the tank. What are you thoughts on this. Just curious. Would love to add some more color to the tank but not sure if I can do it. Any input would help. Thanks

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I personally havent done anything fake in my tanks since I was a kid, although in the case of a fowl tank ( and dependent on the inhabitants) the fake corals may be the best option for adding splashes of color.
That being said, what are the inhabitant in the tank? there may be some real corals that the inhabitants wont touch that would accomplish this same goal.

Well right now I only have some chromis and will be adding a couple clown fish. Then I plan on adding some tangs, butterflies, and an angel.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
You may be able to add some softies like mushrooms and leather corals as well, since generally those fish wont touch those since they are fairly noxious to them. Plus they fairly inexpensive for many of them and you could mix them with some fake sps coral decor for the chromis to school around.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ya softies and leathers dont really need intense lighting or pristine water params like most other corals and very few fish will eat them, plus the cheaper ones can spread very well and grow quickly which would likely work pretty well in a fowlr tank. I have some marble mushrooms that look pretty kewl and grow/spread fairly quickly, I could give you some to try out if you want

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I have a two that are attached to a small piece of rock. Was going to donate it to the April DBTC meeting, but if you would like it, you are welcome to come and get it. Im in downtown Denver, pm me for address and phone number and we can arrange a time

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
click my screen name in the post and select private message, or go to notifications at the very top of the page

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Montipora is usually a safe bet too although water params need to be a bit more stable. That will add some depth to the tank and angels and butterflies tend to leave them alone. What they really want is acans and zoas.