Trying to figure out lights for fuge

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My tank is a 6' peninsula type of tank, with the overflow on one end. Everything is clear acrylic, and I have notices a small patch of aglae growing. This got me thinking about adding a fuge, and putting it in the overflow area. This area is 6 x 18 x 18, and has durso style pipes in it. The tank is also 4" from the wall (where the overflow is).

Knowing this is an unorthodox place to put a fuge, does anyone have any feedback for me? Will the flow be too fast? I can always put on in my sump, but would rather not if I can avoid it. I don't have enough room in the sump.

Also, what about light(s)? I need to be able to put something there that will fit, and also not be too hot next to the acrylic. Any suggestions?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I usually use a cheap clip on light with the big silver reflector with a daylight bulb. If you want to do more than macro, then you might need more light.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nope, not the fuge, tank is 100 gal.

I thought that jbj light was mainly for nanos

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
do you have a picture of the tank? also. I have a 5000K led light from lowes for my fuge. Works great, 15 bucks and has lasted for 2 years so far.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
this nano led is for lighting fuges, it's magnetic so it can stick to the outside of your fuge, and light the area needed.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I made my own hangon/stick on the side LED to replace myJBJ nano-glo. I originally made it for an algae turf scrubber but I have found that it just works great as a fuge light as well. Ive been able to grow many types of algae, chaeto and other macros like there is no tomorrow. The jbj worked ok I suppose but not like the one I built for about $35 using reds.

Maybe you should try that route? there no heat with it.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kris/Kalgra/Thunder - Did you change your username? I actually thought about your light when I first started to think about a fuge for my tank. I will dig up your thread, and review it. My concern would be heat right against the acrylic, vs the glass on the back of your tank.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
yep that's me. There is no heat at all. Its cool to the touch but I also spaced the lens cover for the light about 3/8" away from the leds. You would have no issues with acrylic the cover of the light is 1/16" acrylic and sits right up next to the leds, there is no warping or discoloration.