Tube Worms/Feather Dusters

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have an outbreak of Tube Worms or Feather Dusters (not sure what to call them) in my display. I have tried manual removal and can get a lot out, but they come back fairly quickly. They originated in my sump and I was ok with them there, then they migrated upstairs to the display. To do a more thorough manual removal I'd need to take apart my rock work and disturb corals. So after manual removal does anybody have any suggestions? Would a Copper Banded Butterfly or an Aiptasia Filefish go after them?

flyfish

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a dottyback that cleaned mine out,even the ornamental one.Be careful if you have peppermint shrimp cause she ate them as well.She ate pretty well for about a week.I wish I would have studied up on those fish before I bought one

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
why remove them? they are kick ass filter feeders and don't harm anything, so why do you want to get rid of them? but yes, many wrasses will eat them

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SynDen;n657201 said:
why remove them? they are kick *** filter feeders and don't harm anything, so why do you want to get rid of them? but yes, many wrasses will eat them
I agree they are awesome filter feeders, but I don't like them in my display. Don't mind them in the sump at all. They are just starting to go crazy in the display.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Copperband or any type of halichores wrasse will also eat them

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ReefCheif;n669683 said:
Copperband or any type of halichores wrasse will also eat them
I bought a Copperband and he immediately went after them....like with a vengeance. Same with the smaller aiptasia in my tank.

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine (pep shrimp) don't touch tube worms. Not sure if pep shrimp are ever worth the gamble. I've got two and they have been occasionally naughty but not terrible.

My tank was previously overrun by them. No adverse effects, I think they actually help with the biological filter a lot. I could never find a solid way to get rid of them either though. following along