280g build....the longest build ever

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got almost everthing stained and coated with poly. Still working on the doors but started to hang the trim. Very happy with the results so far.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks good! I really like the stained wood look instead of painted.

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep, I love it too. Not much of a woodworker myself in the past but with a little googling and a lot of time you can make something decent out of nothing.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wow Andrew looks great man good job on the build. Glad to see I coming together for you and look forward to seeing the entire man cave in all its glory :)

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Great setup, cool fishroom, and love the rockscaping!

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys. So many hours vested but the payoff has been great. Smooth running system, healthy fish, will start adding corals in the next 30 days. Been running hypo for the last 30 to rid the system of any ich. Has worked like a charm.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Do shrimp/crabs get adversely effected by hyposalinity treatment? How long a cycle are you doing?

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghosty;196716 said:
Do shrimp/crabs get adversely effected by hyposalinity treatment? How long a cycle are you doing?
So RP is correct. I would only recommend it in a fish only tank. Hypo will kill pretty much everything but fish. I have all my lr in a separate system at the moment. It will even kill some fish. I just read a cool article about a guy who did it on his 350 cause his whole tank got ich. He ran hypo for 6 months with no issues and it rid his tank of ich. That was my whole purpose and i cant imagine any is left or i will see any in the future. I am doing it for 4-5 weeks total. It has been at 1.010 for over 3 weeks. With so much water volume i have not seen any swings in water parameters and all my fish are happy as can be. I will start raising my salinity slowly in the next 2 weeks. I would recommend doing some research if anyone ever trys this though. Plenty of articles on google. I figured why not when i tried it though as i got all this fish i wanted at once, qt'd them in my dt and now i should be good as i dont plan on adding more fish, just corals in the coming months.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay so google is a good place to learn about hypo? I've been hearing more and more and I want to set up a qt tank becuase I lost two clowns from ich and don't want to go through it again. I also do not want to do anything with copper.

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep, google "hyposalinity ich" and read on. I read at leat 8 different articles to get different peoples perspectives. I think it's important to educate oneself on this if you truely want to do it as there can be a lot involved.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Yeah I have tons of RC and other natn'l forum threads bookmarked about ich (and every other thing, heh). Just was curious on the quick (invert) answer, since I don't have ich currently. Thanks, definitely something I'd do in a QT only. Also read a bunch on Kordon Ich Attack vs. Hikari Ich-X vs. Seachem Paraguard, for future reference.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tried hypo twice with little result but there are numerous people who have had great success.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dbarnes;196796 said:
I tried hypo twice with little result but there are numerous people who have had great success.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
How low did you go? I was amazed, my purple tang had it bad and within 2 days it was gone. From my readings with it at 1.010 it basically causes the parasites to burst as they cannot control water intake.