A beginner's LED build

Many hours in

I have some good progress to report since last I left off. After the lenses dried on the lights I made sure they were all securely in place. *Tip: make sure to use enough silicone if you attach your lenses this way, I had a few wigglers that needed some extra sealant which I applied with a toothpick.

After all the LEDs were in place and wired in strings it was time to cut my splash guard. I went down to Lowes and bought standard 1/8" plexiglass and had them cut a 5 7/8" x 18" strip for me which I'm happy to report they were accurate enough on. Then when I got home I used my scoring tool to cut that in half again for two identical 9" splash guards which fit like a glove.

With that done I set aside the lights and moved on to assembling the power supply. I made several mistakes here which hopefully this thread leads others to avoid. I bought two of Radioshacks largest project enclosures, which were far too tight of a fit for me to be comfortable with.

So I returned the project enclosures and went to Hobby Lobby and bought a display box intended for displaying model cars. This seemed like a great idea, the plastic would be easy to cut to make ventilation holes, and there was plenty of room to add in the terminals I wanted to use for PWM dimming.

I sanded the inside of the display so I could paint it and make it look decent. But when I got it assembled my failure became all to apparent to me.

In my opinion this box was large, ugly and unwieldy, since I despised this enclosure and scrapped the entire top, I wound up just using small brass nuts and bolts to secure the drivers to the back plate and went back to the drawing board on how I would wire things up.

After redesigning my driver setup it was time to dial in the current on the drivers so that I wouldn't blow out my precious new LEDs the moment I plugged them in.

It is very easy to find instructions online about how to dial in the ELN 60-48D and the beginning steps are all the same. I found the covers to be difficult to remove and was scared of breaking them, this is not the case however and you just have to be brave and pull the top off like you mean it.

Next use a Phillips screwdriver to GENTLY turn the SVR2 knob counter clockwise until it stops. These little knobs are in no way rugged, so be careful. The SVR2 is the white knob in the corner which you'll see in the following picture.

Once you've turned down the SVR2, the instructions were less clear for the 60-48P model which I decided to use. I have yet to get my Reef Angel and was not sure what I could use as a PWM source to turn the drivers on and let me check the current. Fortunately a simple answer is you can just use a 9V battery, just hook the battery to the blue and white leads coming out of the driver and you're ready to get adjusting!

My experience was that with the SVR2 turned fully down the amperage came in between 200ma and 300ma. Turn the knob GENTLY and slowly until you reach your desired output current (I chose 800ma to give myself some overhead on the 1A max on the XT-Es).

In addition to checking your amperage, this is a great opportunity to verify that your drivers are coming in at the 48V they should be. Better safe than sorry after all.

After getting the current all set it was time to start wiring these bad boys up! I wanted to make a terminal box to make hooking up the PWM leads from the Reef Angel super easy. I used a small project box and and 8-position push-release speaker terminal from Radioshack to make the box. At this point keeping wires and terminal positions straight became a more serious concern. My best friend was a silver Sharpie that I could use to write on basically anything. I advise finding a labeling system that works for you and being liberal with your labeling.

Inside my PWM hook-up Terminal

The outside of my PWM hook-up Terminal

I wanted to make things easy to take apart so I used female spade connectors to make hooking up the PWM input leads to the flat plugs on the back of the speaker terminal. I was really pleased with how easy this made assembly and even more pleased that I didn't have to solder anymore because dang it I was tired of soldering.

If I could go back in time I would have used more crimping connectors. They are excellent time savers, look better than hand-spliced connections, and I am now in love with them.

Next I attached the lead wires that would connect to the actual Light fixtures, I used 8 - 5' lengths of 12ga stranded wire. 12ga wire was definitely heavier than I needed to use, but it was already purchased and nicely filled out the wire wrap I was going to use to dress up the visible wires. I got the wire wrap at Harbor Freight for 2.79 per 10' section. Harbor Freight is just an excellent place to get cheap tools and supplies by the way.

After finishing the lead wires with some more crimp-on connectors, I epoxied a 6-position barrier strip on the back of each heat sink and matched up my wires and secured everything in place.

This is where I started getting pretty darn excited because sitting on my floor was a hand-built thing that was really starting to resemble an actual light rig!

I may be biased since this is kind of my baby, but I think it looks pretty good so far.

Then finally, the moment had arrived in which I would put my newbie skills to the test and fire up the LEDs. I double-checked that all wires were hooked to the correct other wires/terminals, crossed my fingers, plugged in the drivers and got ready to hook up the 9v battery to the PWM terminals.

This made my night

Everything worked flawlessly. The lights are really dramatically bright, so I'll have my a fun job working the dimming once I get my Reef Angel in, which I'm pretty excited about since I'm having a blast playing with these lights.

The PWM channels were all set up right, so I spent some time playing with that function, which is sad since all I have right now is Full-on/Full-off capabilities. Once I get my controller and can control dimming levels, I can't even imagine how much time I will spend playing around.

The LEDs do give off a good deal of heat, but so far the heatsink seems up to the task, and I haven't even installed the fans yet. I still have a lot to do, such as;

-Install Fans
-Install hanging kit above tank
-Build splash shield for terminals on back of light fixtures
-Install hanging kit on Driver Plate (it will hang on wall behind my tank)
-Get my Reef Angel to make the whole darn thing work!
-Take 1,2 and 4 hours temperature tests at various points on lights
-Buy some Sam Adams and spend a few hours parked in front of my tank once it's all set up to enjoy my hard work!

Keep your eye out for (hopefully less long-winded) updates, things are moving fast now!

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Killer looking job. Me like..

How is the dimmimg? And what size pots did you go with?

KhensuRa, the 60-48D drivers use the analog potentiometer dimming signal, I instead used the 60-48P which take the digital PWM dimming signal. The box that has all the speaker plugs on it is actually where I'll be plugging in the PWM leads from the Reef Angel controller I'm getting. So the RA will do all the dimming instead of using potentiometers. Thank you very much for the compliments, I'm pretty darn happy myself too!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very nice. Keep the updates long winded, that's how I'm learning through your experiences.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This why we need an LED build thread...

Come on BOD, congress works faster then you...

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;138155 said:
This why we need an LED build thread...

Come on BOD, congress works faster then you...
now its a led build thread before it was a lighting thread ...make up your mind :)

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm so jealous, please let us know what your total investment is after it is all said and done!

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
i would like to know as well......i have been on the wall about a DIY LED build or just buying a fixture and this thread has got me leaning toward DIY!

I'm really glad a new guy like me can contribute something that you pros are interested in reading so thank you! I will absolutely post a cost analysis, along with heat readings, pictures and anything else I can get once all is set up. Hopefully I can eventually even find a way to get PAR readings on this someday.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;138200 said:
If that terminal strip on the heat sink starts to rust due to the saltwater, you might consider using some ballast connectors.
They look like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Tyco-Electronics-Ballast-Connector-Cpgi-2008836-2-K/dp/B002WUWP40

Those lights look great :) Good job and you'll love being able to control the dimming :)
I seem to remember seeing either rapid led or another DIY build place sell spray on silicon. Is there even such a thing? If so that would help any rust. Or what about the paint on electrical tape?