A beginner's LED build

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aricml;138195 said:
I'm really glad a new guy like me can contribute something that you pros are interested in reading so thank you! I will absolutely post a cost analysis, along with heat readings, pictures and anything else I can get once all is set up. Hopefully I can eventually even find a way to get PAR readings on this someday.
I think your write up doctumentiation and style screams all pro. Thank you for sharing and I am sure this will be used by many as a great reference tool.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;138225 said:
I seem to remember seeing either rapid led or another DIY build place sell spray on silicon. Is there even such a thing? If so that would help any rust. Or what about the paint on electrical tape?
I think you're right about the spray on barrier but I can't remember who sold it.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They sell spray silicone at NAPA, I used to use it to soften up weatherstripping. could also hot melt glue over them to seal them up, and it would be semi easy to remove if you needed to adjust things

Isn't it something when almost immediately upon finishing building your new light fixture, the old one dies out on you? I got my new lights hung in a hurry over my tank tonight and I still have some testing and finishing to do before my next full build post is ready. However I just had to put up two quick pics of what I saw when I turned just the blues on because I got too excited for my own good.

I had posted these previously under PC light, but they look a bit happier now

Just some normal zoas

I took these with my point and shoot Panasonic in underwater mode, but other than that no changing anything aside from cropping. Once I get the temp testing done I'll put up those results along with price breakdown and of course, more pics.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Aricml;138195 said:
.....Hopefully I can eventually even find a way to get PAR readings on this someday.
I just got my new PAR Meter and would be glad to come over and take some measurements for you.

I figured it's time to update my progress, which has been sped up by the cruel mistress necessity. My PC lights lost a bulb and therefore it was time to get my new lights over my tank in a hurry. So I went to Lowe's and picked up some drywall anchors, I brought the mounts for the Y-hanging kit to make sure that the screws included with the drywall anchors would fit through the provided hole. I also picked up a few cable tie-downs, ring screws, picture hanging wire, and rubber stoppers.

I laid down a blanket over the top of my tank and used my yard stick and a square to mark 4 spots where I would be hanging the light mounts. I made the mounts 7 1/2" apart for the 9" heatsinks which seemed like a safe distance to prevent the mounts from trying to slide out of the channels on the top of the heatsink. Then it was time to tap in the drywall anchors.

Then attach the mounts for the Y shaped hanging kit

Then run the wires through the mounts and screw the caps on tight!

Hanging the lights was a bit too difficult to take pictures of the process but the hanging kit attaches with a simple tension-lock system in which you push down on the top and run the wire through. While this sounds suspect it holds quite strong. I gave each wire about 40lbs of test pressure to make sure I wouldn't have any problems, because I can't imagine a scenario more upsetting than a light falling into the water.

As a tip if you use the same heatsink and hanging kit I did, you should know that the screws on the end of the hanging kit (the ones which actually hold onto the heatsink) do not tighten far enough to secure the heatsink in place. You will need to use something from multiple tiny washers to some type of block on the end of the extrusion channel. I used 5/16" rubber stoppers which are firmly wedged in and will prevent my lights from sliding off the hanging kit.

My lights are hung higher than I had initially designed because until my Reef Angel is set up, I can only run them on 100% or off while using the standard power source for a PWM signal. What a bummer... except my Reef Angel arrived tonight!

I have to say that RA shipping was incredibly quick as I was not sure I'd get it before this weekend. I was also pleasantly surprised at the packing job, it was box within a box which I always like seeing.

I have been planning for this controller for a while and was completely aware assembly would be required and tinkering will be necessary to get everything just how I want it, still, spreading out all the parts still made me pause to wonder if I've gotten in over my head...

But only for a second, I cant wait to play with this bad boy!

My next updates should include results from temp testing at 100%, and when I get the RA hooked up, dimmed to proper light and color, pics of the entire system finished and fully installed, and if I can figure it out in a timely fashion hopefully video demonstration of the dimming capabilities and thunderstorm effect!

I will probably also throw in more pictures of corals under the blues only as I just keep being surprised by how much they pop!

lsaint

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just orderd a biocube kit form Rapid how long did it take to get to you and did they send you a e-mail saying that they sent them?