A Golden Reef Tank

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
It turned out fine. I still have mixed feelings about that elevated platform. The final product is the best solution I could think of. It does make it nice to be able to get to the higher frag tank now (I'm height challenged for those that haven't met me).

But, I probably wouldn't have gone with this platform if I didn't have to run plumbing across the floor. That all started because I didn't get the sink installed in the right spot. One thing led to another with arranging equipment, and here I am today.

The other benefit is that I can reach higher on the skimmer and back end of the refugium for maintenance.

I have some scraps of the grating left over that I'm going to use by the mixing station so that I can more easily dump salt in.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So are you starting a home aquarium or a public aquarium? Looks really cool! Can't wait to see water in it.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
MuralReef;668583 said:
So are you starting a home aquarium or a public aquarium? Looks really cool! Can't wait to see water in it.
Thanks Mural. I am stealing a lot of design ideas from industrial and public aquarium settings. Wait until I start running all of the wiring and plumbing infrastructure overhead. That's when my lab will really start to look the part.

Has anyone ever heard of "View Into the Blue" underwater webcams? I'm looking for some OTS solutions for cameras in the tank and behind the scenes that I can adapt. The View into the Blue cams look more like commercial and scientific solutions for big scale (BIG budget) applications. They also look like a company I need to submit my resume to. From what I'm seeing on their site, last night while I couldn't sleep due to my current job, they are doing awesome work with underwater PTZ cameras!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
TheRealChrisBrown;668594 said:
How do you cut the fiberglass floor pieces? Is it easy to do, need special saw blades or something?
First, you use a circular saw with a standard plywood blade which burns the teeth off within a single pass.

Then, you run to Home Depot, which you should have done anyway, and get a diamond tipped blade. I picked up one suitable for hardie-board or fiber cement board. That seemed to do the trick with minimal effort and the blade seemed to hold up. I didn't know if a diamond tipped blade for masonry work would be better so I picked up both and only used the one.

It was fairly painless after that. Just wear a good mask ( I always use a mask with a charcoal chem filter ) for almost everything because it just seals better to my face. You don't want to breath in that stuff. And goggles.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
halmus;n668595 said:
First, you use a circular saw with a standard plywood blade which burns the teeth off within a single pass.
Lol, sounds like something I would totally do! I don't have a need for the flooring, but I think it looks awesome.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I forgot to mention that the first step (where you burn up equipment) is optional.

Yep, the grating is an awesome product.

It will be the perfect solution for the elevated platform near the tall mixing tanks. That will be a fun part of the project.

I have some long term plans to hook up those water mixing pumps to a key fob remote so I can turn on and off pumps from across the room while I'm doing water changes (the pump will also feed lines overhead to supply fresh and saltwater) Variable speeds, on/off with the flick of the remote. It will be cool. No running across the room when the tank is almost full. Just click a button.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have heard of View into the Blue. They do some work with Teens 4 Oceans a club I run at school. I might know a guy... I'll have to look into it.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have heard of View into the Blue. They do some work with Teens 4 Oceans a club I run at school. I might know a guy... I'll have to look into it.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
:) I'm not sure if I should thank you for being envious? But, thank you.

I'm looking forward to actually working on the tank finally, not all of the peripheral equipment.

Lol yeah I know the feeling... I think it will pay off in the end tho with fewer changes and easier maintenance you will probably enjoy it longer

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I hope you're right. That's definitely the goal. There will be some adjustments that will need to happen over time as I see how I actually use the space.

The overhead cable tray opens up a lot of possibilities down the road.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
This isn't a huge update. But, I've been working on a new technique where I encase wood in acrylic for some of the supports.

This is the inside cross sectional view before securing the end caps.

This was after the supports were secured to the sump, a picture you've already seen.