A Golden Reef Tank

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
No picture update yet.

I am just excited that I just made the final payment to the contractor which means they're finally out of my life! (Hopefully, still waiting on permits to update and close successfully).

The self leveling concrete has been sitting and drying out. I plan on putting garage grade epoxy paint on this weekend. Then, I'm laying down G-Floor rubber flooring over everything. The paint is just to seal things up. The new cement is extremely porous and I will have a few seems in the rubber flooring that water could potentially work down in.

I'll post pictures as anything interesting happens.

Also, I've had the tank full with tap water for about two weeks. No leaks, no cracks in the flooring, and no other unpleasant surprises.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks.

I am trying to convince the wife that the room needs a fridge to keep nasty fish stuff out of hers.

It also doubles as a nice space for refreshments while enjoying the tank and room.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
halmus;369797 said:
Thanks.

I am trying to convince the wife that the room needs a fridge to keep nasty fish stuff out of hers.

It also doubles as a nice space for refreshments while enjoying the tank and room.
Totally! Freezer too

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
A Golden Reef Tank

So, this area is great for micro brews. Anyone with Brewer contacts we can talk into making a custom phytoplankton IPA for MASC?

That's what the fridge is really for....and yes, definitely a freezer for frozen foods.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
halmus;369797 said:
Thanks.

Ha! Im trying to do the same. I have a perfect spot picked out too!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
A fridge/freezer is crucial for a fish room! Otherwise, fish foods will take over the human fridge, and nobody wants to mistake frozen fish food for portions of frozen stir fry sauce.

lol funny you should mention that, FinsUp. My sister one time ate a bloodworm cube out of our freezer thinking it was food lol. Sigh... I felt bad when I had to tell her it was fish food. Amazing build, Halmus. For sure following this :)

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
My wife once accidentally substituted fish sauce for soy sauce. If you've ever cooked with fish sauce, you know it should be used in very small amounts. She loaded up the dish. It was inedible.

Thanks for following lee

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
BLECH! to both of those! Oh man... yeah, I've cooked with fish sauce, and you do NOT want more than a driblet of that stuff in anything. And Lee... OY! She ate a bloodworm cube? Uffda. I'd voluntarily wash my mouth out with soap.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I hope to finally get the picture update this week. I have 80% of the flooring down in the filtration room. I should be able to finish it next weekend and put a majority of the baseboard down.

I spent all last weekend putting down tile in the laundry room. I am in a rush to get that done and reinstall the sink there. Why a rush? It turns out my contractor didn't actually complete inspections fully. There was a mixup with the county and plumbing and mechanical were never signed off fully. So, it's all back open and the have to come back out again this week.

I'm not overly impressed with my tile job. However, I'm really liking the way the filtration room is turning out.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Here is a quick picture of the back side of the tank. I can't remember if I ever posted this up or not. The center compartment is the overflow. The side compartments will be dry boxes for the back end (dry side) of Vortechs to sit it. Obviously, the wet side will be just on the other side of the divider wall in the display tank.

This is just to show you some of the texture of the flooring I used. I'm pretty happy with it now that it has settled down and conformed to the floor. This is also my Washington state bonafides (socks and sandles).

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Look'n awesome!!! that floor turned out great and tank setup is coming along nicely

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
No kidding looks amazing!!! Sure hope you will offer to host a meeting at some point! Hint hint

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SynDen;635375 said:
Look'n awesome!!! that floor turned out great and tank setup is coming along nicely
Thanks. The pictures I took were before I went back and taped the seems. So, those closed up nicely.

I sprayed some water on the floor to test out how slippery it is. It's not too bad, but I'll have to be careful with major spills not to fall on my butt. It cleans up nicely but a painted floor with grit probably would have been a better way to go. It's done now and looks good, so I'm happy.

Walter White;635400 said:
Damn! you are putting all other Colorado systems to shame! Loving everything
Thanks Mr White.

I wouldn't say I'm putting other systems to shame. I am putting a lot of effort into the back end of this system but that doesn't guarantee anything about the display. I just enjoy the process. The really fun part hasn't even started yet.

CRW Reef;635411 said:
No kidding looks amazing!!! Sure hope you will offer to host a meeting at some point! Hint hint
I'd love to host a meeting some day. If anyone wants to stop by and check it out, they're welcome once there's something worth seeing.

I'm fabricating the baseboard for the tank room today in between cleaning the shop, finishing some custom laminate counter tops, and the million other projects I have going on.