Aiptasia control

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;321813 said:
I'd be wary of using lime juice or vinegar in the tank but hydrogen peroxide would be fine

Lime juice would only drop the ph a tad.

Vinegar would be a carbon source and could possibly cause a cycle depending on how much was used.

I personally would not put hydrogen peroxide into a tank. If the rock could be removed from the tank first then sure.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What are your tank parameters? Some of the suggested solutions will require high quality water with N and P near 0.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Go with the kalk. It works really well. Turn all of your pumps off and let it sink into them - they will grab it and it destroys them fast.

If you do decide on Nudi, then you will need several of them since they pack hunt. They will also require NSW tank params.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mav;321789 said:
Btw boiling water works great. I am however unable to block their off world transmission requesting for reinforcements. When killed, they come back 10fold
We have done boiling water in a syringe and then quickly pulled the syringe back to suck the aptasia out completely. Worked well for a single sighting but would not want to be putting hot RO in tank in any quantity if there were a bunch of them. I figure if that happens we'd use QT and remove effected rocks [hopefully]. good luck with this it is brutal.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had about 15 in my 75g. Got 3 peppermints and got it down to about two before they died. Then u used boiling water in a thicker needle syringe and laid it on them for about a minute each. I'm aptasia free now.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
jda123;321844 said:
Go with the kalk. It works really well. Turn all of your pumps off and let it sink into them - they will grab it and it destroys them fast.

If you do decide on Nudi, then you will need several of them since they pack hunt. They will also require NSW tank params.
Ya kalk has been how I handle them in my tank. It can be hard to get them if they are on the underside of a rock but otherwise it works great. Literally burns them out and they dont return. Works well for majanos and hydroids as well.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;321816 said:
Dude, I'm tellin' you... meat-eating amphipods are the answer.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rs/index.php

Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D
Nonetheless, the most common amphipods found in aquaria are
either herbivores or detritivores. They tend to eat either plant or algal
material preferentially and either graze on algae or eat debris of plant or
algal origin. Generally, they don't eat much in the way of animal flesh,
although occasionally we do get some predatory amphipods in our systems. It is
difficult to distinguish between any of these species without specific
microscopic examination, so the only way most hobbyists have of differentiating
between the two types (and keep in mind there are several hundred potential
species in each type) is to watch them feed. In our aquaria amphipods are
typically part of the cleanup crew. In addition, they are good food for whatever
fish can catch them. Altogether they are a beneficial and interesting component
of our systems' fauna.

Carnivory in amphipods is not uncommon, and occasionally
some truly carnivorous forms hitchhike into marine aquaria. In the deep sea, or
even in many shallow water areas below the photic zone, carnivorous amphipods
are either dominant members of the scavenging guild or predatory in their own
right. I even know of one species that on occasion is a man eater, being the man
it was documented eating!

Last edited by a moderator:

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Y'all know me well enough by now to assume that almost everything I say is dripping in sarcasm! :rofl:

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
What if the aphasia is right next to an acro? If you get it with kalk paste or something injected, do you run the risk of killing/harming the coral?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
clowninaround7474;322008 said:
What if the aphasia is right next to an acro? If you get it with kalk paste or something injected, do you run the risk of killing/harming the coral?
You run an even higher risk of tge aptasia spreading and killing the coral anyway, plus other corals. Just use a needle and inject it inside the aptasia to reduce the chance of getting it on the acro. I have gotten kalk on acros by accident before and the acro survived with a dead spot where the kalk got on it. After about 2 months the dead spot got encrusted and you cant even tell it was ever damaged.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, I don't have any kalk, any one have a bit I can use? I have syringes. Also who has the cheapest peppermint shrimp and best luck with said peppermint