Aiptasia control

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just picked up 2 peppermints from elite today. Hopefully they can get the few I have since they look to be spreading. Any tips once you introduce them or do they just go to work?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would suggest manually removing as much as possible and cut back on your feedings until the aptasia is gone. The hungrier they are, the more likely they are to eat the aptasia. If you dont have wrasses or other fish that need to eat several times a day, cut it back to twice a week feedings for a couple weeks. If you have wrasses, do every other day feedings for a week or two.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have 3 wrasses in the tank so that may not be an option, and the aptasia are right next to one of my favorite acros... Manual removal with aptasia X or kalk risk killing the acro... Kinda feel stuck between a rock and a hard place

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Then I would just skip feeding tomorrow. That should get them hungry enough to mow them down tomorrow night if they dont get them tonight.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hopefully they can find them. I tried introducing them in and around the area of the aptasia and of course they wandered completely away. Fingers crossed

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats normal. They are very nocturnal creatures. I rarely see mine even at feedings, but once the lights have been out for a few hours, they are scavenging like crazy.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
And of course tonight my lights are the brightest at night since they follow the lunar cycle and it's a full moon!!

I never cut feedings down or had to introduce the pep to the aptasia I just woke up one day and it was gone and have not seen any new since having the pep.

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I once had a green bubble tip anemone (my first) and on the first night he got shredded by the circulator. A few weeks later I thought he had survived (at least a little piece). I fed him, nurtured him, read him bedtime stories - the works! He grew big on mysis shrimp, and all was right with the world again.

A month later I was discouraged to see my little buddy wasn't his green self anymore, and his tentacles were not at all like I remembered. One trip to the LFS with a pic and all of my hopes and dreams were shattered - it was an aiptasia! A few dollars later, I found my way home with a peppermint shrimp. I fed the little aiptasia one last time and turned the shrimp loose. I kid you not, 30 minutes later that aiptasia was gone - just a little piece of his foot rolling around the sand like a tumbleweed of death with the peppermint shrimp following close behind. I think of your new peppermint shrimps and whisper to myself "Godspeed little crustaceans, Godspeed indeed."

I'm such a noob...at any rate, best of luck!

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Been a day... Aptasia still there. Haha!! Keeping fingers crossed

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aptasia are gone!! Peppermints from elite are legit. Just took a few days for them to find em.