Can I go 1 freakn week without a issue?!?!?!?!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Man I tell you, if its not one freakn thing its another with this damn hobby. Noticed a week or so ago that my effluent from my CA reactor wasn't dripping so now my alkalinity is all over the place. Trying to slowly bring it back up. Now because of the alk issues I get to sit back and watch my 80+ eye colony of blue boobies flesh rip apart from the skeleton.

Around the same time I think my Jawfish died. Haven't seen him for a few weeks now and recently my nitrate shot up from 0 to 35 in less then a couple days. What little cyano I had is really loving the extra nutrients and is now all over the place.

Wait thats not enough to deal with the aquarium gods feel. About a month ago I picked up a Flame Angel pair from a group buy. Being that I didnt have my quarantine system ready to go I took them over to Premier for quarantine. They came in with Flukes and Ich. So Will at Premier got that treated and next thing you know one of the flames got a gash on its head. So now its being treated for that. Fast forward to today. I woke up this morning excited because today was supposed to be the day I pickup the pair. So I call Will to let him know im coming by tonight after work and guess what; he tells me that the larger flame has a lesion on it pectoral fin and now he is treating for that. He says that the flame probably won't make it now because the fin isnt moving. This sucks big balls, you know how hard it is to pair pygmy angels!?!?!?

I swear this hobby really tries your patience sometimes.

So tell me, whats your current issue(s)??

Sorry, just needed to vent a little...

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
somebody burned popcorn in the office upstairs...whole place stinks... =)

don't have a job and have a family of 6 to support. hope it makes ya feel better. :) lol
just remember it could be worse.... yea, i know. that never helps me when people tell me that either. sorry bout everything sucking balls and such, but, you know it will all work out.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
To answer your question...No! We are keeping a contained environment in our aquariums and we don't get the benefit of mother nature to help. :)

Tell me about it, btw does anyone want to buy my entire setup? I could do without all the extra work! Sometimes I think a large photo inplace of my tank would be more relaxing!

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I lost a colony of cali tort larger than my hand this week, because my retard brother-in-law stayed over for a few days, went to the movies and turned off the AC. now I'm praying I dont lose my cheeries

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SAZAMA;108129 said:
I lost a colony of cali tort larger than my hand this week, because my retard brother-in-law stayed over for a few days, went to the movies and turned off the AC. now I'm praying I dont lose my cheeries
Sucks balls but you guys are making me feel better, keep em coming LOL!!!!

Zoalander

Butterfly Fish
I feel your pain....wait no I don't everything doing well here. I sometimes feel like we over do everything. My best system that hadn't had a single problem is a 40 cube with a 1400 gph koralia. That's it. No fuge no carbon no skimmer. Even though I keep mainly zoas lps and some Sps like montis they all do well. The only live stock is 3 astrea snails and 2 hermits. I dose reef fuel and do a PH buffer once a week and a 5 gallon water change. Oh and it's bare bottom....not a spec of algae and not a single polyp closed. The less your doing the less can go wrong.

Lost 2 clowns (one perc and one misbar false perc) last week because my exquisite fairy wrasse and yellow coris wrasse teamed up and destroyed them.
I have lost every sps ive put in my tank over 2.5 years no matter what. High/lowlight/flow great perams.

Had too many brittle mini stars in the 55 (easily over a thousand). They ended up reproducing to the point of annoying colonies. Colonies of zoas died due to inability to eat.

Similar issue occurrence when i accepted some free rock from a fellow hobbiest and placed it in my sump. My top offs are done there and apparently the rock had aptasia (unseen till too late). Within a four month span i went from aptasia free to thousands stinging corals and had gone through four bottles of aptasia x. There was simply no stopping the infestation.

Finally had enough and restarted the system after complete removal of all rock for boiling and dry out. Used chlorinated boiling hot water in sump to kill everything off there seperately from main display. After a week of efforts, i began the "warm restart of the tank and moved what corals i had left back into the main along with four peppermint shrimp to help with any baby stowaways.

All seemed fine. Handled the spikes and hurried the cycle. Fish back in and all is well right?

A month ago (right after the all is well/green light), my return pump broke. Temporarily have a mag 5 on there but thats nowhere near the volume needed for the tank. I thought, " its ok...ill use the old malfunctioning koralia 3 i got from a fellow reefer in trade for my fully functional no issues koralia 4". Right? Wrong. That won't work now either. Oh well.. no sobbing for me. Its still pretty. Time to put some culerpra into the sump right...

Sump light shocks me and then goes out. Lol. Still no replacement to date. No funds to fix that or the return pump.

To top it off, last weekend i lost power on the front two walls in the house and didn't know untill i came i side half an hour later (figured by time the timers stopped) and found the top quarter of my tanks water on the living room floor... thats right, guess whose check valves didn't work? Lol

Oh well. I feel ya on if its not one thing its another. Thankfully tank is still up and going and i still get to enjoy what hasn't gone wrong yet knowing its only a matter of time. Lol

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What size return pump you need? I might be able to help you out with at least something.

You have my thanks for the offer, however i am a man that cannot afford the gas. Ice been keeping am eye out in the springs areas for a may 9 or so (ideally) but even if i find one up here ice gotta convince the seller to to hold it for me for a week or so until i can come up with a little more than $20. I know its almost an i silting offer for such a pump, but i try to offer trades when i can and thats helped me to get this far (along with great generosity from a few as well). If any of them are watching, "thank you sincerely for your generosity. You have allowed me to take part in a hobby i fell in love with on day one.".

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ouch that sucks to hear :( My main issue right now is my lights are bleaching my acans. I have them hidden in little caves now but what good is having them if you can't see them...

cherub, don't they come back from bleaching over time under the lights? I have two or three red acan heads and the same for green that had almost totally bleached under the 2 250w mh. this was about 3 months ago. they are just now starting to color back up. my red ones are pink (still a bit see through). the green ones are now able to at least tell that they have a color.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
J&A Timberlake;108145 said:
You have my thanks for the offer, however i am a man that cannot afford the gas. Ice been keeping am eye out in the springs areas for a may 9 or so (ideally) but even if i find one up here ice gotta convince the seller to to hold it for me for a week or so until i can come up with a little more than $20. I know its almost an i silting offer for such a pump, but i try to offer trades when i can and thats helped me to get this far (along with great generosity from a few as well). If any of them are watching, "thank you sincerely for your generosity. You have allowed me to take part in a hobby i fell in love with on day one.".
Not worried about that. May 9? I'm assuming thats an external pump?

oops - mag 9 i mean. lol - was responding form the phone at the time. I figure ideal for my system would be around 700gph-900gph (roughly). but that's at a hieght of 3 feet above the sump. so that's how i came up with a mag 9. figure the loss of almost 3 feet would put it at about 700gph. the pump that broke was a rio 3100. Right now, i'm using the mag 5 a friend had laying around and gave me. If anyone's locally (or coming to the springs area) is interested I'd happily trade it plus an eagle eyes frag for the larger pump. I know that's not an equal value. i can put another $20 on it but that wouldn't be for another week or so.

edit: just saw your post Zoo. i'll shoot ya a pm.

90 gal sump decided to leak. Front seel on reeflo went bad and started leaking, got that fixed then the rear seel went out and leaked some more. Thought I got every thing back, apparently when resealing the sump I cracked the bulk head and didn't notice until it leaked all over. In the last month I have probably dumped 100 gallons of water on the basement floor. Good times.