How to buy halides?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;359310 said:
Let's say I get mike's setup. Could I just get any 250 bulb and it will work?
Dont just buy any bulb :p As not all bulbs are created evenly.

For 250w SE halides I believe Ushio 14k or Radium 20k are the 2 best bulbs depending on the color look you like. The ushio is a very white light and the radiums are very blue.

And as for 250w DE bulbs the new Hamelton 20k (Assuming Mike L likes these?) or the Hexarc Blue Phoenix 14k are the best bulbs.

And lastly, 400w SE bulbs: I use 20k radiums and get awesome growth. In my new tank, I just put in a tester acro and its already encrusting.

My recommendation for a 210, would be a 3x 400w halide, t5/VHO, and reefbright combo. you will only need to run the 400 halides for 3-4 hours a day. so the power consumption wont be bad.

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can attest first hand to get good bulbs...... I could not get anything to grow and Seth was tired of hearing me ***** I think and sold me 3 400w mh and I will never go to anything else. The benefit of the se is that if you find the 400w are too much you can screw in a 250w and get select a watt ballasts and run pretty much whatever bulb you want. I have a 210 with 3 400w radiums and 2 60in ulv vho. I love them and I only run my 400w at 400w no hqi and still get about 1000 par unshielded 4 inches under the water. A seriously amazing bulb and the lumatec ballasts are really good as well. No complaints at all. I am looking into adding some led for more blue color and night color but as it sits now I love it. Going with the 3 kessil would give you very little advantage over the extra mh and cost way more! I actually sold mine because I was not super happy with it. The only thing you may be able to do is get the controller and somewhat get more adjustability with your color. However I wouldn't mess with all the extra. I had a very hard time getting much light to the bottom of my 24" tank let alone the 210 being 30" deep. I believe they rate the 360we for a max of 24" deep tanks. You may want to double check that.