Hurrafreaks 120

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have yet to see a completly automated WC system.
You can install a bulkhead to use an external pump, and put the return it through the top for circulation. This eliminates any need to elevate.
Initial fill is done by whatever means are nessesary, I would just let my auto top off do it.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dont know how you would either, the holes look to small for even a small powerhead to fit, and you would need at least a mag 5.5.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I cut a large hole in the top of my 55g drums. Large enough for me to put a pump inside. That being said, I'd rather have a bulkhead fitting on the bottom of the tank and return to one of the existing holes in the top. The other hole could be used to put a heater into the tank.

Making a fully automated water change system could get prohibitively expensive. The solenoid valves alone would probably run in excess of $200. You could easily do a manual system by teeing off the mixing pump with valves to divert the water to the sump instead of the top of the 55g drum. You'd have to figure out a way to send your display water to a drain though.

Good luck...I know you can do it ;)

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
There is no lid to it? I would make a lid. After a while your going to get residue in the container and at some point it will need to be cleaned out.

I have automatic water changes, 1.5gpd. I use a Litermeter which is connected to a 45 gallon rubbermaid container. Inside the container is a powerhead for circulation. I also have tubing coming from my RO unit to refill the rubbermaid. I turn on the valve from the RO once a month to fill the container and dump salt in.

From what you posted it sounds like you want something to simplify water changes not automate them. In order to automate water changes I would think you would have to have a peristaltic pump. I really don't see any way to accurately add and remove in the same amount so you don't throw your salinity off, especially if there is a ATO in the mix.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Juan, I'm only using my drums as water storage. I have to manually get the water from them.
If you had an external recirculation pump that went to a bulkhead on the side (bottom) and returned to the top, you wouldn't need to elevate the drum.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The pump doesn't need to be external either, I just hooked my new one up with a mag 3 inside, leading to the bulkhead, I need a new pump though.
Make sure you super clean everything prior to use as it will grow stuff, especially since your drum is clear (light can penetrate).
Also you might consider a sleeve of some kind for the barrel to block light out.
I have a bunch of new bulkheads with 1/2" barbed out and 1" threaded female inside, barbed 1/2" T's, grometed elbows, and other misc. plumbing stuff that may be of use, you can come take some if you can use em.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run an external closed loop on my saltwater mixing tank with valves that let me direct the water to the top of the tank for circulation or to some vinyl tubing with a pvc hook on the end that I can hang on the side of the tank for a water change. Mike plumbed the tanks for me, which is good because I have no idea how he got the other half of the bottom bulkhead to the right place. It's really convenient, but it's also loud. The inside serves as a resonating chamber for all the falling water. I don't know how you'd change that, though.

Also, remember to turn off the pump before you pour in salt. I've burned out a pump from all that salt getting sucked into the intake.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andy, point the return from the closed loop at the side of the container, this will diminish the sound a lot.