I have a sea apple!

G

smallest one ive ever seen. about 2" long

anyone have any experience with these? Tips? Ive read up on them a lot and hopefully my tank is mature enough for it.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its in a 10 gallon? I dont know if I would, good luck!!!
They are super toxic when they die.

G

i bought it. I know its risky, but ive heard a lot of success stories with them as well as horror stories.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
please dont tell me when it nukes your tank ....i dont wanna tear up ...lol

good luck ...remember its only a couple of 5 gallon buckets of water

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They're not that hard. Stability is key with them, so be sure to top off often, monitor your parameters and put a little phyto in every couple of days.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
mikejrice;126596 said:
They're not that hard. Stability is key with them, so be sure to top off often, monitor your parameters and put a little phyto in every couple of days.

Michael Rice
in time everything dies ...just a matter of when

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;126606 said:
in time everything dies ...just a matter of when
True, including whole tanks. The people who advise against things that may nuke a tank are most often ones that never owned it. I've not meet or talked to a single person who lost their tank to a sea apple. Mine tried to nuke my tank when I put it in with absolutely no results.

Michael Rice

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
mikejrice;126609 said:
True, including whole tanks. The people who advise against things that may nuke a tank are most often ones that never owned it. I've not meet or talked to a single person who lost their tank to a sea apple. Mine tried to nuke my tank when I put it in with absolutely no results.

Michael Rice
mike your scaring me ..i have heard LFS employees speak like this before ...in the end guess who gets the blame ....err on the side of caution my friend

true i have never owned own
...does that mean they aren't toxic?
just because you have never met or talked to someone that lost their tank to a sea apple ...does that mean it doesn't happen?
because you had a sea apple that tried to nuke your tank with no results
...does that mean that every sea apple is the same and the resulst will be the same?

being that there are enough horror stories out there of sea apples nuking tanks that people constantly warn against it
...do you think we should just forget all about the possibility of it happening and not bother to warn people against the potential consequences or do you think that you may have just been lucky?

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying that there is a lot of stuff that gets around the internet that is simply word of mouth rather than experience. All of us come to conclusions based on very limited testing in usually no more than one system. We do science backwards.

Michael Rice

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Correlation seems to equate to causation for most people in this hobby.

Michael Rice

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ryan;126506 said:
anyone have any experience with these? Tips? Ive read up on them a lot and hopefully my tank is mature enough for it.
I picked up a sea cucumber a while back. These animals are very very sensitive to nitrates. I had a nitrate spike and not even 24 hours later it was dead. Like others have suggested, be prepared that if it dies it "can" nuke your tank. Sure it may be possible that nothing will happen like Mike said but it is also very possible that it can nuke your tank. There has to be some truth that it will nuke your tank otherwise every story you have ever heard they are all lying, which makes no sense. GL and keep us updated!

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
mikejrice;126613 said:
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying that there is a lot of stuff that gets around the internet that is simply word of mouth rather than experience. All of us come to conclusions based on very limited testing in usually no more than one system. We do science backwards.

Michael Rice
i agree ...but it is a hobby
mikejrice;126614 said:
Correlation seems to equate to causation for most people in this hobby.

Michael Rice
correlation is a good reason for action in most cases ....some times its coincidence most times its not

dont get me wrong i understand your point ...i hate when people present opinion to be facts

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm not saying that they can't nuke a tank either. I'm just saying that there may be more to them than what is flung around the internet commonly. I'm sure when mine dies, I'll find out exactly what that does.

Michael Rice

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
The reason a lot of stuff gets spread is because of rumor and uncertainty.

Reefer#1:
Puts sea apple in tank
Sea apple dies
Rest of tank dies
Conclusion: Sea apple nuked the tank.
Reefer#1 tells #2 about this, and on and on it goes

How does anyone know what really happened? How do you not know that something wasn't terribly wrong with the tank when they put the sea apple in? And it just happened to show signs and die first? It may not of even caused the tank to crash, the tank crashing may of caused the sea apple to die.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;126616 said:
I had a nitrate spike and not even 24 hours later it was dead
Perfect example of what I am talking about here.

How do we know the nitrates killed the cucumber? It may of been something else. How do we know the cucumber didn't start dieing 2 days before and it is what caused the high nitrates?

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Exactly! All it takes is one sensational story to start false information. I've never heard someone say my tank crashed because I'm a bad reef keeper. There always had to be something out of their control to blame.

Michael Rice