I have a sea apple!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;126620 said:
Perfect example of what I am talking about here.

How do we know the nitrates killed the cucumber? It may of been something else. How do we know the cucumber didn't start dieing 2 days before and it is what caused the high nitrates?
Ummm reasonable deduction? Nothing else in the system died but the cucumber. There is no way in hell a newly died cucumber had enough mass to cause 10ppm nitrate in 140gallon total system volume in less than 24 hours. Also, reasonable deduction that it was a nitrate spike because the only other parameter was a alk spike and according to my research these animals are sensitive to high levels of nitrate, nothing is mentioned about alkalinity but call it what you want, I will keep my sensational stories to myself!!!!

I don't know about things nuking tanks, but the sea apple looks pretty cool.

Just my opinion, but... It's true that the internet has a lot of conflicting stories, and just because thing A happens in tank A doesn't mean that thing A will happen in tank B. Since you're dealing with live animals and different environmental factors in each case you can only get a general idea of what may or may not happen. If half the stories are horror stories and half are success stories, I would just attempt to replicate the success stories and hope for the best. After all, I'm sure in the beginning of the fish keeping hobby that almost ALL stories were horror stories, and look how far we've come. Fish that were once considered to be impossible to keep alive in captivity now survive and breed there. Wouldn't have happened without experimentation and pushing the boundaries of the hobby (not to mention more than a few ruined tanks).

Just go for it and see what happens. Clearly you're aware of the risks in keeping such an animal, and yeah it would suck if it didn't work out but you never really know until you try. I for one would like to hear updates on the sea apple and hear how it goes.

G

Update I will. I do hope its a sea apple, and gets a bit more colorful. If its just a regular cucumber Ill be a little disappointed, but then all the sea apple horror stories dont apply to it hahaha j/k.

most of the horror stories originate from fish picking on the apple, which im sure my mandarin wont.

Ill be careful with it, cuz im already careful with the tank. If it dies, hopefully ill be around to catch it before it hurts anything. Im just hoping it outgrows my tank and I can pass it along to a bigger tank down the road.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
It looks like a sea apple to me. Best of luck with it. They are very interesting, for sure.

With regards to the rest of the conversation, I agree that there are a lot of unfounded ideas in this hobby. There are also a ton of utterly disproven ideas that continue to perpetuate through the internet, word-of-mouth, lazy reefers who don't give a crap to proof their research, and (gasp) books.

lol it's true. A lot of those disproven ideas are perpetuated though by unscrupulous merchants though in order to make sales rather than through people just being too lazy to do research. In some ways it's almost best to assume that the LFS or anybody who is trying to sell you something is lying to you about everything, for starters. I had one tell me once that the black volitans lionfish they were selling was capable of being a brackish/mostly freshwater fish while pushing me on a sale. It was difficult to keep a straight face.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
mikejrice;126621 said:
Exactly! All it takes is one sensational story to start false information. I've never heard someone say my tank crashed because I'm a bad reef keeper. There always had to be something out of their control to blame.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English
well let me be the first to tell you i lost my last tanks because i was a bad reef keeper ...lol...not that i didnt know better but i just moved and i thought i could manage to keep things alive in rubber maids with little more than circulation and heat for just a "few more days" while i settled in ....i ended up up having to where a respirator to clean it all out of my basement ....fact ...lol

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;126622 said:
Alien Pygmy zoas farted and nuked my tank:)
Man it happened to me as well !

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe off topic a little, not a lot though so maybe it will be ok. Can we all agree to disagree that a simple debate around here anymore ends up in someone being butt hurt?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
chrislorentz;126650 said:
Maybe off topic a little, not a lot though so maybe it will be ok. Can we all agree to disagree that a simple debate around here anymore ends up in someone being butt hurt?
who is butt hurt? ...well kris got all tissy but i think he will be ok

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I also hear smasher mantis can break thin glass, I have never seen it, but am also not willing to put a peacock in a nano.
Same with the apple, I would simply err on the side of caution, I dont know what it will do, and am not willing to risk it based on the reputation that preceeds it.
I am sure it will be fine, how much livestock can you cram in 10 gallons anyway?

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am not calling anyone out last time I did that I received myself a decoration !

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hehehehe yea guess so

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i think your ok in the future ....that deal was more about the other people involved than you i think ....lol

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think so as well

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
chrislorentz;126650 said:
I happen to love getting into discussions with other members here. It's a place to voice your opinion in a controlled environment, except if you're utterly wrong then you're shunned.

I did some digging, that is most definitely not a knobby cucumber....and most probably a sea apple (the spines are all wrong to be a knobby).

That said, I fed my pink knobby marine snow. After discussing this with other members, we decided that I didn't need to feed him specifically, as he'd get food from my overfeeding. He lived like that for a few months, until my system got shocked (par38 fell into the sump).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;126651 said:
who is butt hurt? ...well kris got all tissy but i think he will be ok
Lol I'm not butt hurt. Problem with text,can't tell the emotion behind it. I was just playing off of Mikes post trying to lighten things up :)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;126727 said:
I happen to love getting into discussions with other members here. It's a place to voice your opinion in a controlled environment, except if you're utterly wrong then you're shunned.

I did some digging, that is most definitely not a knobby cucumber....and most probably a sea apple (the spines are all wrong to be a knobby).

That said, I fed my pink knobby marine snow. After discussing this with other members, we decided that I didn't need to feed him specifically, as he'd get food from my overfeeding. He lived like that for a few months, until my system got shocked (par38 fell into the sump).

Utterly wrong doesnt get you shunned, it gets you corrected.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;126727 said:
...., until my system got shocked (par38 fell into the sump).

can we here the story again ...please please can we can we ..specifically the part where you stuck your hand in there

i need a good laugh ...lol