Interview with the" tanked" guys

LOL at people thinking they don't know what they're doing -- they wouldn't be in business if they didn't with a high-end clientele!

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dont think anyone questions the fact that they know how to make money. I believe it is there ethics that are questioned.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They also make a really nice tank.
I just think it's a good thing they cater to really wealthy people because
the wealthy people will be able to afford to have someone come in and
maintain the systems that they set up. Their systems LOOK nice but look
like nightmares to maintain.

Further he explains that neither himself, nor his partner nor his employees would ever condone hurting any livestock whatsoever. ATM has had over 250 years of experience collectively and this is their passion. They have taken measures to ensure to the best of their ability that the fish are being transported and handled in the correct manner. They are professionals and have been doing this for many years, so they are well aware of "cycling" an aquarium and the vital importance of live bacteria.
Sorry, wrote my response rather quickly. I was under the impression that the concern was that these guys were throwing fish into systems without cycling the tanks. While I guess you could call that "ethics" it seems to me more along the lines of naivete in the hurry to make money. My point was that someone doing that wouldn't be in business very long serving a high-end clientele who generally don't make purchases without personal references. I run a business like this so I know from first hand experience -- if you don't know what you're doing it will get around and you'll be out of business shortly.

If you watch the show it's pretty obvious they know what they're doing. The screwups in the show appear to be more for entertainment than anything else.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scrumpto;112477 said:
LOL at people thinking they don't know what they're doing -- they wouldn't be in business if they didn't with a high-end clientele!
ATM is an aquarium/Water feature manufacturer(mostly water features). Not a maintenance company. They are removing animals(puffers and sharks from what I have seen) that should not and need not be removed, except for entertainment purposes. Their shark stick tank is a combination of cold water and warm water sharks(bad husbandry) as well as sharks which are collected in the most immoral ways possible(by gutting a pregnant mother for the unborn pups). Furthermore that aquarium was not large enough to handle all those animals at full size, but since most of them will probably die, it doesn't matter. But your right my 25 years in the marine hobby, 7 years in the industry must mean I don't know what I am talking about. Just because I work for a company that manufacturers farm equipment now, must make me a great farmer.

These guys are tools, but all reality show people are tools!

The owner of Aquamart owns ADHI and just because he can glue acrylic hasn't made the store anything special since he started running it.

I liked your message better before you edited it where you called me "Mr. 7 posts." Cute retort but hardly a solid gauge to measure one's expertise and/or experience. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence -- I'm only new to "this" board.

Enjoy!

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scrumpto;113020 said:
I liked your message better before you edited it where you called me "Mr. 7 posts." Cute retort but hardly a solid gauge to measure one's expertise and/or experience. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence -- I'm only new to "this" board.
Enjoy!
Yeah, when I checked your profile I realized who you were from SCMAS(picture). Either way the guys on this show are morons and in my opinion don't know $#!t about these animals. And worse off, don't care! And the responses of Mr. Reymer don't make him look any more intelligent. The use of cap locks and nonexistence of punctuation pretty muck prove he is a salesman that has inhaled too much weld-on.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
spstimie;112991 said:
Just because I work for a company that manufacturers farm equipment now, must make me a great farmer.
im sure your a great farmer shaun ....lol

Ya, my point wasn't whether they were ethical or not -- that's subjective. My point was that certainly they know how to cycle tanks and properly acclimate fish even though they're not showing it in the program. They could be tools with regard to ethics -- I'm not judging that.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do they realize that taking a starfish out of the water will probably result in the death of that starfish?
Rhetorical question.....I just saw their last episode and the wife took a purple linckia out of the water and
my wife and granddaughter even knew that was a fatal thing to do.

I did like the group of clowns they put in a tank...I think they were Clarkiis or maybe Sebaes but there was
probably 20 clowns. I'd like to visit that tank in about a year to see how many are left. I like keeping groups of clowns.

Zooid;113074 said:
Do they realize that taking a starfish out of the water will probably result in the death of that starfish?
Rhetorical question.....I just saw their last episode and the wife took a purple linckia out of the water and
my wife and granddaughter even knew that was a fatal thing to do.

I did like the group of clowns they put in a tank...I think they were Clarkiis or maybe Sebaes but there was
probably 20 clowns. I'd like to visit that tank in about a year to see how many are left. I like keeping groups of clowns.
That is not true, starfish can live if you take them out of water. Some species of stars can live 5 days out of water, they would not be able to survive in tidal pools if that were true. Hundreds of years ago fishermen who caught starfish would chop them up in anger, then throw them back into the water, all the while not realizing that each piece would grow an entire new starfish.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wet Paycheck;113075 said:
That is not true, starfish can live if you take them out of water. Some species of stars can live 5 days out of water, they would not be able to survive in tidal pools if that were true. Hundreds of years ago fishermen who caught starfish would chop them up in anger, then throw them back into the water, all the while not realizing that each piece would grow an entire new starfish.
there is a diffence betwen us takinga starfish out of water and starfish taking itself out of water ...chances of it surviving when you do it aren't good

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zoalander;113084 said:
Don't worry guys, I'm at MACNA an the tanked guy is here, the bald one. I just gave him a dirty look for you guys.
thats funny ..i wonder what the ratio of guys kissing his a$$ to dirty looks are at MACNA

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;113088 said:
thats funny ..i wonder what the ratio of guys kissing his a$$ to dirty looks are at MACNA
Sweet, regardless if they know or dont know what they are doing I think they are idiots. Hell they may be ok guy's in normal life but on that show they are freaking idiots.