Interview with the" tanked" guys

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wet Paycheck;113332 said:
Im sure they do it properly but have to edit it for tv.
I am not so sure. Obviously no one wants to watch a tank cycle, but put a date stamp on the bottom. Make a note so people don't try instant aquariums. It may not be what they are doing, but it sure looks like it. Otherwise why cool down a tank with ice?

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The reason I feel that they have no cycle is because they have to unveil this new tank to a three year old before he sees it for the first time. I'm sure they are the type of reefers who believe in the theory of get fish pooping to jump start the cycle. I think they are great tank contractors but not good with live stock. What this might start is a Nemo kinda flood into the hobby making our prices sky rocket.

You make a very good point here and I am stumped as to how or why they do what they do. Maybe they have some kind of reef voodoo that no one else knows about.

spstimie;113334 said:
I am not so sure. Obviously no one wants to watch a tank cycle, but put a date stamp on the bottom. Make a note so people don't try instant aquariums. It may not be what they are doing, but it sure looks like it. Otherwise why cool down a tank with ice?

Spstimie, my apologies my LOL comment offended you - it wasn't meant to. Based on my experience and observations (IMHO) these guys know exactly what they're doing and their success in business backs this up. You wouldn't be in business very long if everything you sold died due to stupidity. I think there's a lot going on behind the scenes of this show that we don't see and a lot of keystone cops drama that's made up just for entertainment.

As for the show hurting the industry, I have to say - the LFS I originally frequented did more harm and killed more livestock than these guys ever could have personally in my tanks.

Whether they use their powers for good or evil on a daily basis is another matter and one I won't bother to judge as all we have for evidence is fictional drama. you may judge it how you like - I for one will give them the benefit of the doubt considering the lack of evidence against them. I'd rather err on the side of grace especially in this economy as rumor can quickly kill a business.

You may think what you like and we can agree to disagree. Again, sorry my comment irritated you.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wet Paycheck;113285 said:
Alright, I'm going to bow out of this argument. I was not talking about the linckia specifically, but was talking about a blanket statement that was made about starfish in general (or at least that's what I thought). I have not kept linckia because of their extreme sensitivity and the level of care required. You may be right about that and I agree that the ATM guys are idiots.
I really don't want to make enemies here but could use some more friends.
Gale, if you aren't too ****ed to teach me a little something I do have some clown questions you may be able to answer for me. PM me if you care to help out.
Thanks all!
Takes more than internet chat rooms to pi$$ me off that bad. :)
Sorry I haven't responded, had to go to my sisters funeral....hasn't been a great week.
PM me your questions and I'll answer the best that I can.

jgonzz

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Got a chance to talk to Brett this weekend at MACNA, very nice guy and cares alot about what we as reefers think. Alot of editing for entertainment takes place on there but thats part of tv

I hate cycling a tank as well as testing water, so I sure as hell dont want to watch it on tv.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a chance to talk to Brett as well. The thing that gets me is the fact that I understand that it's TV and there's a lot of editing. I also agree that the show shouldn't be all scientific, cycle, educational stuff because that doesn't get ratings. Mythbusters has those 30 second science blips to actually teach people things, as well as have all the craziness for the rest of the show, and mythbusters is awesome! I think a happy medium is in order.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very good points. Im sure they are using humane processes because they are way larger than just the tv show. Does anyone know how they do the cycle fast? Can you move live sand and water that is already cycled to a new tank and start it up quick? If so might be a lfs idea.

Lol we all have to remember that if this show had all the things that us reefers want it to, no one else would watch. I'm sure these guys are pro and the show dosent allow time for them to show it. Can u imagine if they showed a bright green algae infested cycling tank ? Lol would ruin the theme of super gorgeous tanks on the show. This all being said, I do find them pretty obnoxious and annoying.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just think they should have a disclaimer so inexperienced people will not do what they see on the show.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I need to watch an episode of this show.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Saw it for the first time last night. Very disappointing. Some of the ideas were very clever no doubt but pretty hideous athletically IMO. I get it, and I’m sure it will appeal to the masses but I probably won’t be making any effort to see it again. Def not a show geared to the likes of people like us.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will say however that its interesting to see how they fabricate some of these tanks, that asspect actually does peak my interest as i like building weird things.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
kalgra;114244 said:
Def not a show geared to the likes of people like us.
when you say "us" do you mean you and that creepy guy down the street with the van ....lol

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I thought you were the creepy guy in the van. ;) Yes you are right though I have no place to speak for anyone else here. I should have phrased that differently.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
kalgra;114247 said:
I thought you were the creepy guy in the van. ;) Yes you are right though I have no place to speak for anyone else here. I should have phrased that differently.
nope .. i'm the guy in the t-tops blasting the 80's music while circling the high school ...lol

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
BigAl07;114257 said:
ultimatly that guy is a little arrogant ...lol
looks like he was going to bite Mr. saltwaters head off
sounds like he is passing the buck a little to me but he is right in a way ...its not his job to train people and you know i think people are making a big deal about nothing ... i think most of us got in the hobby because some tank somewhere looked cool ....then we went out and researched how to do it, no one is going to write down the stuff they see on tv and use that as a guide for how to take care or a tank ...they're going to research it first

but what i want is ultimate count of how many times he says ultimately

dv3;114262 said:
ultimatly ....but what i want is ultimate count of how many times he says ultimately
Now THAT'S funny LOL

I agree with you. When I got started I was at LFS picking up some food for my FW tanks. I was looking at his SW set-up and mentioned, "Man I'd love to go salt but they are so expensive and require all this special equipment and stuff to keep long term."

He looked me straight in the eyes and said, "They're easier than your fresh water. I use TAP water, feed flake food, nothing but these "Whisper" hanging filters. It couldn't be any easier."

Within 1 week I had a 10g tank, whisper 20, heater, sand, 1 live rock (2lbs), 1 purple lobster, i true perc, 3 blue tail damsels, flame scallop, and a couple of bright yellow nubibranch. Yep those are NOT typos either! I've learned a little since that day (January 20th a few years back). Believe it or not I still have that very same True Perc and only lost the purple reef lobster after my last move (due to marital divisions).

I'm just saying that even without the show making it "look" to easy it's ultimately up to the end user to get educated and learn the right way to do things.