It been a while, but I'm BACK and planning a big build.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
ayaws;350958 said:
Wow! Well done!
Thanks, I seems like it took forever to complete.

We are making a lot of progress! The long Memorial Day weekend certainly helped! We were able to complete the fabrication of light hoist system, get it painted, mounted and got the light hung. Now all we have to do is push a button and the light will raise to the ceiling and out of the way for maintenance. Push another button and it will lower back to the tank. This was a MUST since the light weighs approximately 150lbs.

The tank is in it's final resting spot and the plumbing is complete. 80 gallons of saltwater are mixing right now and will go in the tank this evening and then we will start refilling the cans so we can have another 80 tomorrow. Because neither of us is home during the day, it is going to take a few days to fill the tank, even with a 300gpd RO/DI. I think Jeremy is going to start building the rockwork tonight and everything should be up and running by this weekend.

Here are a couple of pictures of the tank with the light mounted and hung above.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Here is a better look at the scape. The water is still slightly cloudy, but you can see it much better. I just wish I was able to better show the dimensions of it. It is much better looking in person.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

We had our first near disaster yesterday. We have had the tank up and running for a couple of weeks now and everything has been working nicely. I have an IP camera set up aimed at the tank so I can check in on it from work (or anywhere else I may have the inkling). I decided to check on it just before lunch yesterday and noticed that I could a deal of light leaking through between the water and trim on the top of the tank. I immediately knew something was not right, so I panned the camera down to view the sump below the tank.

It took a second to register, but to my horror there was 4 inches of water in the stand. I immediately RAN out of the office. When I got home I saw that the skimmer, which had been running flawlessly for a few days, decided to go nuts and sent 35+ gallons of water into the base of the stand. I don't know how long it had been like this, but the pumps had been running dry, at least for a little bit, and the water had started to cascade out of the stand. I don't think much ended up in the carpet before I was able to stop the skimmer and clean up the mess.

Thankfully when Jeremy built the stand he made the base 4" tall and put a piece of OSB and glued ABS plastic to the top of it and silicone around it to make it water tight. If not for this, we would have had a much larger mess.

We are now working on a float switch relay that will turn the skimmer off if the cup OR collection bucket gets too full.

Tangs

Turbo Snail
You are aware that the jebao is a company that I can't remember there old name but there heaters pumps and light killed a family and all they did was change there name
lpsouth1978;344874 said:
Thanks to the help of some fellow MASC members, we have the tank in the house. I have also received most of the other things we ordered. We are still waiting for the bio-pellet reactor and skimmer to ship. It is now time to get the stand done. Here is what I have so far:

300 Deep Dimension tank

90 gallon tank for sump

2 x 800 watt titanium heaters

2 x 800 watt heater controllers

Mag 7 water pump - to run the bio-pellet reactor

Mag 24 water pump - for return

2 x 1000ml bio-pellet media

We are thinking about getting a Jebao DC12000 for our return pump. Apparently, the Mag 24 uses 265 watts and puts off a lot of heat. The Jebao only uses 82 watts and is controllable without using valves and stressing the pump. I just hate that we spent $220 on a pump we may not use.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Tangs;352364 said:
They caught on fire
Thank you for the heads up. I think I will take my chances though. There are far too many cases of people using the Jebao pumps with no injuries. I have read reviews about pumps failing, but this is the first I have heard of any injuries or major damage. I think the odds are in my favor.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Things have been at a bit of a stand still for the past week. We are both Itching to get something in the tank, but unexpected problem have kept us from being able to.

The Cycle completed almost 2 weeks ago and we were about ready to get our first fish, but then the tank water started to cloud back up and then it turned green. We are pretty confident that the Pukani dry rock is leaching phosphates. We purchased a Hanna Phosphate test and got a zero reading, but we are sure that was a false negative because the algae are consuming all of the phosphates before we can detect them.

We turned the Lights of and have left them off for the last 4 days and things have improved a lot. We also received and installed the GFO reactor yesterday and the tank has almost completely cleared as of this morning. Hopefully we will be able to get a fish or two in there this weekend.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Ok, I am finally back with an update on the tank. Things are doing well and progressing nicely, the hair algae is even receding. After about 4 months in the tank the rocks are almost done leaching phosphates and the algae is finally dying off. We have added a good deal of life to the tank and everything seems happy in the tank thus far.

My current stock list is:

Fish
7 x Green Chromis
2 x Diamond Watchmen Gobies
Melanarus Wrasse
Potters Angelfish
Coral Beauty Angelfish (still in QT)

Inverts
500+ Crabs and snails - including nerite's, marginela's, Nassarius, Conch's, Red leg hermits, Scarlet hermits, and cerith's

Corals
4 x various zoas
Small Purple Bonsai colony
Small Pink Mili colony
Small Purple and Blue Mili colony
5 x unknown various SPS colonies

Some of the fish we are/may still get are:

Powder Blue Tang (have one on hold)
Achiles Tang (maybe)
Naso Tang
Emperor Angelfish (maybe, Jeremy really wants this one)

Here are some pics of some of the corals and a FTS (sorry about the quality, my phone struggles to get decent shots of the tank).

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow that is some kind of tank. What kind of bottom line are you up to now? Very nice job btw. Im doing a 135 gallon predator tank right now and doing a rock, pond foam, sand and epoxy back wall right now and going to do dry rock on the wall with live rock on the sandbed and phosphates are a concern.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

SilverSurfer;357368 said:
Wow that is some kind of tank. What kind of bottom line are you up to now? Very nice job btw. Im doing a 135 gallon predator tank right now and doing a rock, pond foam, sand and epoxy back wall right now and going to do dry rock on the wall with live rock on the sandbed and phosphates are a concern.
Thanks, we are probably up to about $10-12,000 and there is still a lot to be spent to finish stocking. If I were to do the dry rock again, I would do an acid bath before cementing everything together.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

It has been a while, so I thought it was time for another update. We are almost done stocking the tank We have an Achiles Tang in QT that should go into the tank in a couple of weeks, otherwise There are only a couple of fish that we still want, a leapard wrasse and maybe a powder blue. Here is the stock list:

Fish

Naso Tang
Yellow Tang
Melanurus Wrasse
Linneatus Wrasse
Carpenters Fairy Wrasse
2x Black Ice Percula Clowns
Midas Blenny
Royal Gramma Basslet
Green mandarin Goby
2x Diamond Watchmen Gobies
7x Green Chromis
4x Lyretail Anthias (1 male, 3 female)

SPS

Red Montipora Cap
2x Green Digitata w/blue polyps
2x Purple Bonsai (different varieties)
Green Slimer (large colony)
Pink Birdsnest
2x Purple Milli w/blue tips
Pink Milli
Red Planet
Aussie Bushy Acropora
2x Encrusting Montipora, Blue w/green Polyps
2x Encrusting Montipora. Blue w/red Polyps
8x unknown SPS colonies, small to medium

LPS/Softies
Large Duncan Colonie
Large Nepthia (Sp?)

Inverts

Blue Maxima Clam
500+ crabs and snails

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;360221 said:
Wow stunning! !!!! So what rock is that? Its crazy purple awesome! !!!
+ 2 Brilliant!

lpsouth1978@msn.com

CRW Reef;360221 said:
Wow stunning! !!!! So what rock is that? Its crazy purple awesome! !!!
We used BRS dry Pukani. Unfortunately, it is not purple at all yet. That is just what the pictures make it look like. It is almost impossible to get a good picture with LED's.
Miah2bzy;360228 said:
+ 2 Brilliant!
SkyShark;360230 said:
The tank is looking really good. I love seeing all of the well planed and thought out details.
Thank you all! we have put a lot into this build and are very happy with how it has turned out.