LED Group buy!

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
For people ordering drivers through this site, you pretty much have 2 good options. There is a 30W 700mA driver for up to 10 LEDs, and a 60W 700mA driver for up to 20 LEDs.

In order to control each color individually, you should group your LEDs of a single color on separate circuits, so determine your driver needs accordingly. For example, if you have 20 blue, 10 royal blue and 10 white, you should order a 60W driver for the 20 blues, and a 30W driver for the royal blues and a 30W driver for the whites.

QLe

Turbo Snail
After our orders are finalized. We can negotiate with him and send him a list. This is what what of the other guy did with him. If you go to his store and select on the "other" category, you notice he create a separate invoice for that guy. It has the LED strip icon and in the detail, he listed the details. That way, every item is clearly shown and the shipping is just one item. What do you guys think?

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
He's been pretty willing to work with me/us on things so far. If he can create a custom invoice, so much the better.

Derek, one thing I noticed on aliexpress is they say "UPS is the preferred carrier of AliExpress. UPS provides excellent value with fast, reliable door-to-door service and complete shipment visibility through detailed tracking information." I used UPS Express and was very happy. I've never heard of EMS before. I suggest going with UPS because of my past experience with them.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
I could be open to ordering a couple hundred additional LEDs, drivers, lenses, etc. if it'll decrease the cost per item. I'll be needing them in the near future anyway.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
spssps;77461 said:
I thought that we were doing a group order so we could get a break on shipping. Looks like we are all getting charged individually for the shipping. If the order is going to be shipped directly to my house, then the individual shipping charge makes sense, but if its all going to one address, then I am confused why the shipping is so high.
It's not individual per se. For the rheostats, for 7, its like $25 in shipping, for 1 its 25 in shipping. So what I did, there are 3 people buying rheostats, So i divided 25 by 3. If you go through the site and add the items up you want to order, the shipping will probably double. Give me a few, and I will post exactly what I did to calculate shipping. I did this because if I split it evenly, some people only ordering 1 or 2 items would get charged more, and those of us ordering 5 or 6 would get a huge discount.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Crit21;77463 said:
Derek, whatever happens with shipping, we need to place the order through the Aliexpress.com web site. It protects the buyer by placing the payment into escrow until we receive the order.
Yep. I want to see if I give him the order, if he will make a custom invoice for us, like the one Q posted. Either way it will go through Aliexpress.com.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
I can't believe shipping would be that much. The stuff weighs practically nothing. $20 for a handful of 1 inch rheos is excessive. It should be based on the weight of the entire order, and not a collection of small shipments. Something's messed up with the calculator.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree but if you look at that custom invoice link, he's still charging $110 for shipping $140 worth of stuff.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just created an order of just my stuff and it's $51.43 for shipping instead of $41.33 shipping with the group buy.
If he doesn't give us a break on shipping, I may have to just order separately because I'll be spending more than the difference in gas money.

QLe

Turbo Snail
Sometime, seller charges extra high for shipping vs the item because the listing company charges commission as a percentage. That's why on ebay, some seller sell their items for $0.01 and $19.99 for shipping. Its a way to keep most of the profit and keep the item low.

QLe

Turbo Snail
Zooid;77488 said:
I just created an order of just my stuff and it's $51.43 for shipping instead of $41.33 shipping with the group buy.
If he doesn't give us a break on shipping, I may have to just order separately because I'll be spending more than the difference in gas money.
Let's negotiate with him. But let's try to finalize what we need before we put the chip on the table and have an official discussion. We need to send him an itemized list of what we need to show him that we are serious. It's kind of like buying a car. Seller won't negotiate and sell unless they know what what want is serious. With our order, he will likely negotiate since he is making a big profit with the large quantity.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
True...I'll wait till he negotiates a shipping price.
I just don't want to be locked in to the order if the shipping is going to be this high. I was originally thinking that we all may have to pay $10 to ship the stuff. I would have thought $60-80 should be a reasonable shipping cost for all this light stuff. :D

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so here is how I calculated shipping. I would also suggest you go to the site, add everything you want to your cart, and see what the charges are. Then compare to what I am sending you. I am human, and it’s possible I made a mistake on 1 entry.
I will use the Rheostats for an example.
Each rheostat is $1.71 (Cell R13). The shipping cost is $29.35 using UPSE (Cell R11), regardless of if you order 1 or 7. During checkout, it gives us %54 off of shipping for some reason (using the same shipper with everything? I am not sure why it does this, but it does). So that brings the shipping down to $15.98 (Cell R12). There are 3 people ordering this item (Cell R3). So I divided $15.98 by 3. To get shipping per person of $5.33 (Cell R18).
The more people that order the same item, the lower shipping goes. But if you are the only person ordering the item, you end up paying full shipping.
I thought his would be fair. So whoever is ordering only 2 items, only pays there part in the shipping, instead of paying for my 6 items.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Derek, your numbers appear correct.

I just can't believe that he's charging us $200 to ship packing peanut weight material LOL.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;77492 said:
True...I'll wait till he negotiates a shipping price.
I just don't want to be locked in to the order if the shipping is going to be this high. I was originally thinking that we all may have to pay $10 to ship the stuff. I would have thought $60-80 should be a reasonable shipping cost for all this light stuff. :D
Yep. Once I have everyone's orders. I will talk with him and get a quote. That quote will be the final price. None one is locked into it until after the order is actually placed, and we will know exactly the cost before than.

$300 in shipping is crazy. My original order was like $100 in shipping, I figured adding in extra people the shipping would not triple, but it would stay the same.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;77495 said:
Derek, your numbers appear correct.

I just can't believe that he's charging us $200 to ship packing peanut weight material LOL.
Hopefully we can get him to negotiate the shipping costs with us, or maybe the price of the LED's. Since are ordering almost $1700 worth of good, I would assume he could give us a break. Maybe give us a 20% discount to the whole order.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Since you're going to try and negotiate with him.....go ahead and leave the rheostats on my order. :) thanks

QLe

Turbo Snail
Dereck, we really appreciate your time and effort in putting this together. The spread sheet you created was genius. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm sure by now and when we order, people are still changing their minds. Let's finalize on a time to try to get our orders nail down.

Before you negotiate with the seller, send out an email with the spread sheets and post notice to everyone for confirmation and send their final changes to you and confirm. Then, when we negotiate (I don't know how this work yet, but assuming success), we get the final shipping price. After we get shipping price from the seller, we (you) can recalculate all of our shipping for us. I trust your calculation skill and the genius that goes behind it. You can let us know. Then we can pay you. Then you can order.

Again, thank you for all of your hard work.

First thing first, let's come up with a schedule on when you need for us to do what.