Little Fish's 46

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So i have wanted a saltwater tank for several years, and earlier this year i decided that the time was right! So i spent several months researching and finally put it together at the end of August.

Here it is after the cycle. I got really freaked out that the rock i had was volcanic and i couldnt get a good answer from where i bought it from so I pulled it all out and replaced with live rock.

Here it is looking very empty and sad, so i went and got some more. This guy was breaking down his tank so i got his corals as well.

At this point i decided that i was going to do a seahorse tank so the damsels had to go. Getting those little beast was horrible, i had to remove EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But then i rearranged everything. Surprisingly everything made it through that traumatic event (including myself), although the leather isnt super happy, but it is also shedding so i think that might also be the issue.

So in the mean time the seahorses have been in a training tank. They came from seahorsesource.com in florida. They are used to a bare bottom tank so i have been adding things like rocks and sand so that they adjust to them and to train them to eat from a turkey baster. They also had to figure out they could eat the shrimps that had hit the floor and werent moving. I have really enjoyed them so far, they have tons of personality and are very smart. In the next few days they will be moved into the big tank.

Here they are when i first got them. Notice how sterile the tank is. Just tubes running the filter and airstone, being held down by glasses.

Over time I added little bits of the tank elements. So now it looks like this:

Currently the little girl does not like the sand, and is sulking on the other side of the tub. However i plan on spreading it all over tomorrow and im not removing it from the big tank so she is just going to have to suck it up and accept it.

Future plan include an algae scrubber instead of skimmer because of stand constraints and because seahorses like to live in herds i plan on ordering 4 more sometime in November. The tank also needs to have hitches put in for the ponies, which will probably be plastic tubs until i can get some good macro growth and put in some sort of hardy gorg, branching coral or finger leathers.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I'm hoping that by keeping most of the flow up high in the water column things will be ok, however I change them out if it proves too much for them

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
deadrock;51984 said:
all i know about sea horse is they dont like flow lol
This is not necessarily true. Seahorses live in seagrass areas that can be very turbulent, however, they have lots and lots of holdfasts to hang onto. In a home aquarium you want to provide them with flow that is enough to keep food and things in suspension, but you also want to make sure that you have lots of things for them to grab onto.

When I had my seahorse tank, I had lots of different types of caulerpa that they grabbed onto. This worked great because the caulerpa in the tank acted as a refuge for pods that the seahorses in turn fed on contstantly!

Cheers~!
jon

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
i guess you are right now that i think about it the ocean is not calm at all ,except tide pools but sea horses dont live in them lol

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya, they just got moved into the 46 gal. They seemed to really enjoy the fast flow but when they got bored or tired or just finally found them they hitched on to some stuff.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok brah! Here are some pics

Here is the tank with tubes galore. My poor retarded children have not figured out the tubes are things to hitch onto and instead are hanging onto the rocks or the thermometer. Oh well, im sure with time and the temptation of food they will come out of their corners. hehe, lil piggies. Anyways here they are!

Im absurdly happy about this pic because you can see the trumpet coral near the top which i saved from the guy i bought some live rock from. When he gave it me it had hardly any flesh left, but its put it back on and looks great! Also the monti (?) frag i also saved from him is looking great.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
have you considered the addition of some fake plastic plants as holdfasts for the horses? May look a little more natural

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ordered:
http://www.live-plants.com/prolifera.htm
http://www.live-plants.com/banana.htm

A fellow seahorse keeper has the same and they are both well behaved her system and the horses love them.

Here is what it looks like now, i had to put the macro under rock because it kept flying around, and then i left town, so im hoping when i return i dont have some terrible macro issues

Here is the close up of the little girl, Bonnie. She is loving it.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very nice! Next time, before you order, you might ask around here or your LFS. because a lot of reefers use both the C. racemosa (grape caulerpa) and the C. prolifera as refugium material!

some other plants to consider would be Halimeda, Mermaids fan, shaving brush, or turtle grass!

Cheers~!
Jon

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did ask, and no one said anything : ( and all the LFS i called only had the feathered stuff.

And i would love to do turtle grass but it requires a deep sand bed, but i might add the other two someday.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well i got a bunch new corals which of course means more pics! The banana caulerpa didnt make it, but the guy is going to replace it.

I really like the above photo of Clyde peaking out from his man cave