Little Fish's 46

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could do a great dwarf tank in your pico, but be sure you thoroughly research their feeding requirements and make sure you can make that commitment. Most people buy them because they are cheap and then kill them with in 3 months because they dont know how to properly feed them.

A pico would not be a good home any of the other seahorse species. They are very messy fish and would greatly exceed the possible bioload for your tank. Also they need at least 18 in of vertical height or else they are prone to getting gas bubble disease. Also because they like to live in herds, a single seahorse in a pico would be a very unhappy fish. I personally plan on having 8 in my tank.

If you want to do seahorses do your research first! They are very different from your typical saltwater fish, just throwing them into any old tank is not a recipe for success.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya, if its not eating frozen, DONT buy it, means it was taken from the ocean and will most likely die in your tank unless you want to go through the extreme hassle of training it to frozen or constantly procuring live foods.

But they dont really take a wide verity of frozen, mostly just brine (which should not be their staple, not healthy) and mysid. I think you could maybe sneak something else in, but unless you get live food and enrich them, that is about it. Some people are really crazy about applying powders of vitamins and stuff to the frozen and then feeding it, but personally i dont think that is very effective. Most of it will just dissolve and float away before they suck it in because they are soooo slow. Also there is lots of evidence to suggest that they cant break down and absorb the vitamins that way - it first needs to be somewhat digested by their prey. Which is why the gut loaded brine is the way to deliver any additives. The serious seahorse keepers that i bought my horses from as well as many other breeders feed enriched brine as a way of delivering that stuff, the powdered stuff is making its way out.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So i got a bunch of new corals from the awesome Jonthefb, and have totally failed at taking pics of them, so i wont crack your screen by putting them up. But i do have a few nice pics of the seahorses i figured i would put up!

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So i havent really dont anything cool to the tank, but i did get some pics of the two seahorses dancing around the tank. They are having babies on a pretty regular schedule, but im having a hard time working out how to collect them. I tried to put them male in a bucket, but he was really upset by the whole thing, so im working on setting up and in tank nursery ward.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That seems like a very cool idea, except i dont think the fry respond that strongly to light. I think im just going to put a tub into the tank that he can stay in, and then the tub can be removed.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So disaster has befallen the seahorses. The male came down with a pouch infection that i could never fully cure, and then the female caught it and ended up with some nasty cyst and then both died. So i totally changed directions with the tank and have turned it into a real reef tank. I would like to do seahorses again someday, but that is going to be long in the future.

Thanks to the wonderful DBTC meeting my tank has quite a bit going on though! And i would like to thank everyone who participated, and i hope to be fragging these guys in a few months.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you looked at the Hollywood stunner chalice at night yet?
Where did you get those clowns? They look like some of my offspring.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are some of your babies!!! Although, we were almost down to one clown. The one with dark back, who looks like is going to be male - and deserves to be, stupid idiot, got him self stuck in the inlet of the maxijet i have in there. He couldnt have been in there long, but he was bent in half and i had to kind pry him out of there. Poor dude just sunk down to the bottom of the tank, still bent in half, and layer there gasping. Then over the course of a half hour, he unbent and then swam away like it was no big deal. He had a pretty nasty scrape on his side, but that has healed nicely. Lucky little bugger.

And ya, that chalice is really neat to see at night with all the tentacles out. Which is why its down as far as i could put it. Before i got it glue up it had to spend a night on my frag rack next to a candy cane, which it promptly stung the **** out of. Nothing like chemical warfare!