Media Reactor ????

BansheeGrl10

Cleaner Shrimp
Keep my nitrates lo was they r high and also the tank will clear then go cloudy also reduce algae plus lower my maintenance of the tank as I have 4 tanks and do water changes every week just a lot of time spent maintaining the tanks vs enjoying them which I know is part of the hobby

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Media reactors need maintenance too. Activated Carbon can remove some organics and keep the tank clear, but if you don't change it often, then they will get broken down and processed into the N cycle. There is no way around the maintenance.

BansheeGrl10

Cleaner Shrimp
I know they need it just not as often as I am now.....plus going with a reactor is more cost effective then buying individual media foams and etc for the media baskets

BansheeGrl10

Cleaner Shrimp
And doing my research on the different media for the reactor it doesn't need changed as often as media in basket ......I've been doing research on how much to add not harm my tank at the same time......still also researching making sure I have all my ducks in row before adding the reactor

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
jda123;321885 said:
If you don't have a specific problem that you are trying to solve, then you can do more harm than good by using any type of media. What are you looking to do?
I have to agree with Doug on this one myself. Running a reactor on this small of a tank seems like it could do lots more harm than good in a hurry. I haven't run a small tank (nano) in along time but when I did I used Purigen and Chemipure. You might want to research those two in addition as they are (or used to be) used a lot in nano tanks.

Heck even just a skimmer and a small bag of BRS Rox Carbon would prob suffice.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html#

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The live rock should go a long way towards your biological filtration in the tank. Do you have a heavy bioload in the tank?

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Are you a heavy feeder? I am so I have probably 2lbs to 3lbs of LR per gallon. I also don't use heavy nonporous rock so I have a ton of surface area. May consider more LR or backing down on feeding or looking at what you are feeding. I used to have to scrape my glass every 6 hours using frozen and flake I got from LFS. I switched only the frozen to a high quality I get from Coral Xpressions and feed heavy but only have to scrape my glass once every two to three weeks now. I don't attribute it all to the food but most of it is from the food. The rest is because I added another 50lbs of LR IMO.

BansheeGrl10

Cleaner Shrimp
I have broken LR in the back compartment and not really only feed phyto a lot cu there is an electric scallop in there my fish r every other day

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
BansheeGrl10;321925 said:
I have broken LR in the back compartment and not really only feed phyto a lot cu there is an electric scallop in there my fish r every other day
May be overfeeding phyto