Media Reactor ????

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;321901 said:
I have to agree with Doug on this one myself. Running a reactor on this small of a tank seems like it could do lots more harm than good in a hurry. I haven't run a small tank (nano) in along time but when I did I used Purigen and Chemipure. You might want to research those two in addition as they are (or used to be) used a lot in nano tanks.

Heck even just a skimmer and a small bag of BRS Rox Carbon would prob suffice.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html#
Media bags like purigen and chemipure act as a filter floss that trap detritus which will aid in high nutrient levels unless she cleans the bags weekly. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? She's trying to decrease maintenance. There's nothing wrong with running biopellets, GFO or carbon with a reactor in a tank that small. Your concern will be stripping the tank of all the nutrients. Start slow and add media to get your desired nutrient levels. If they go to low then supplement with acropower or aqua vitro fuel. Those products were designed for just that.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
After having Nuvo 16 running for a year, I started to develop cyano problems. About a year ago, I went for ultra low nutrients and couldn't be happier with the results:

On each side (with upgraded caddies):
1 bag of purigen (I stagger change every 3 months)
I have a filter sock mixed with GFO and activated carbon

Eshopps nano skimmer
Media reactor+bio pellets

I still do 20% bi-weekly water changes

My tank is a bit heavier stocked with 2 anemones, 2 clowns, plates, hammer, a war coral, a chalice, and galaxea.

[attachment=67513:name]

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stop feeding the corals (if you do) and dosing the phyto. The negative contributions to the back end of the N cycle are way worse than the minimal positives that come from feeding it. Nothing in your tank NEEDS to eat it.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;321941 said:
Stop feeding the corals (if you do) and dosing the phyto. The negative contributions to the back end of the N cycle are way worse than the minimal positives that come from feeding it. Nothing in your tank NEEDS to eat it.
I've always heard that target feeding the electric scallop phyto is critical to having any chance of keeping it alive long term. No?

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
I didn't feed mine at all and kept it for a year before I broke down the tank and sold it all for a move across town

BansheeGrl10

Cleaner Shrimp
And on the bottle of the live phyto from algae barn it says it can help reduce nuisance algae ......idk everyone says something different so I guess everything is trial and error

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you have fine filter feeders, then your tank is gonna be dirty since they don't eat much of what you feed them. The scallop does need to be fed. Sorry that I missed that. If/when it dies, I suggest no more file filter feeders if you want your tank to be super clean.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
BansheeGrl10;321949 said:
And on the bottle of the live phyto from algae barn it says it can help reduce nuisance algae ......idk everyone says something different so I guess everything is trial and error

Phyto can vary a ton depending on what nutrients are used, how much is used, and how they top off their phyto cultures. But in a nano, if you're not using a skimmer, you will only need to dose phyto once after each water change to replace the phyto that was pulled out. There is nothing removing it but the corals and filter feeders.

So here is what you do, use the phyto as a water scrubber source and not over pollute the water.

only add 1/2 a cup of phyto after each weekly water change or 5/8th of a cup if you do bi-weekly water changes. And if you don't do a water change at least bi-weekly, start.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
General rule: don't pay too much attention to what the manufacturer prints on the side of the bottle as to what the benefits are. Most of these are typically overstated, totally untrue or can come with consequences that you might not like... the few good/correct products suffer because of the rest that are mis advertised. Most people think that a product works because they introduced the product during a phase of heightened awareness and better care... and it was the awareness and increased care that made the difference not the product. ...not all, though.

IF the phyto could grow in your tank, it could use nutrients that film/other algae might use and could, in theory, reduce available nutrients. Big "if." IF the phyto did multiply in your tank by surviving the mechanical filtration, then you would have green tank water and would probably be begging for your film/other algae back. ...so while not completely inaccurate, it is also not that helpful.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;321966 said:
General rule: don't pay too much attention to what the manufacturer prints on the side of the bottle as to what the benefits are. Most of these are typically overstated, totally untrue or can come with consequences that you might not like... the few good/correct products suffer because of the rest that are mis advertised. Most people think that a product works because they introduced the product during a phase of heightened awareness and better care... and it was the awareness and increased care that made the difference not the product. ...not all, though.

IF the phyto could grow in your tank, it could use nutrients that film/other algae might use and could, in theory, reduce available nutrients. Big "if." IF the phyto did multiply in your tank by surviving the mechanical filtration, then you would have green tank water and would probably be begging for your film/other algae back. ...so while not completely inaccurate, it is also not that helpful.

True, the phyto won't absorb any noticeable amount of nutrients. But more of my thoughts were as to not keep overpopulating the tank with phyto causing the nutrient build up from the grow solution that Algae Barn uses.