MuralReef 360 Classroom Tank

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
300 DD build and fundraiser

IMHO the 2" will be nice and strong even for a tall stand. Mine is 1.5". If you are doing 2 stands you are basically making 2 of my stand for a little less than twice the tank. Mine seems stable so far, I'd do more gussets if I had it to do over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

MuralReef;251452 said:
We need a Cindy cam so we can see he reactions to the forum!
As far as I can tell, she spits drinks and food out all day long. Mike must spend all day cleaning the mess up! What a guy! Lol

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
made mine out of 2" .095 wall square tube worked great easy to carry and it didn't deflect at all. my tank is a 210 and if you want I can give you a welding class real quick its very easy to use wire feed mig

p.s. the guy that powdercoated mine did it for 50 bucks if you want me to get you guys together

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;251447 said:
I am never gonna live this down am I.
Nope.

MuralReef;251452 said:
We need a Cindy cam so we can see he reactions to the forum!
BWAAAHAHAHAHA! No way, man.

Dr.HarlemTutu;251459 said:
As far as I can tell, she spits drinks and food out all day long. Mike must spend all day cleaning the mess up! What a guy! Lol

We have a good system. In the mornings, I clean up the stuff he forgets to throw away or put away during the day, and make some coffee. Then I get on here to see what's happening, and he wipes up all the coffee and food I spit out when y'all say something really funny.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I think I'll take you up on the powder coat guy since that is probably close to what I'd ay just for paint. Not sure about the welding lessons the art teacher at school is a metal sculptor and he told me he would show me but I might need some help with the building process. I just want to make sure everything comes out square and level.

rings343;251509 said:
made mine out of 2" .095 wall square tube worked great easy to carry and it didn't deflect at all. my tank is a 210 and if you want I can give you a welding class real quick its very easy to use wire feed mig

p.s. the guy that powdercoated mine did it for 50 bucks if you want me to get you guys together

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;251541 said:
I think that Cindy needs an official MASC bib!
I would ask for one as well, but my keyboard gets hungry and needs to be fed.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Next question. When I go to polish out the scratches do I need to sand or will the Novus 3 sufficiently remove the scratches? There don't seem to be any that are really deep above the sand line but I haven't wiped down the whole tank yet. How much of the Novus materials will I need?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depends on how deep the scratches are. Mike polished my acrylic tank for me with just a buffing wheel and compound; I was too scared to sand it anyway. There are a couple small scratches that the compound couldn't get out that probably would have needed sanding, but you can't see them unless you are 2" from the panel.

Honestly if you don't have any huge deep scratches, I'd just buff the tank with polish.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

MuralReef;252025 said:
Next question. When I go to polish out the scratches do I need to sand or will the Novus 3 sufficiently remove the scratches? There don't seem to be any that are really deep above the sand line but I haven't wiped down the whole tank yet. How much of the Novus materials will I need?
I would go ahead and sand the tank a bit if it were me then polish. It will turn out better in the long run

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: 300 DD build and fundraiser

jahmic;252029 said:
Depends on how deep the scratches are. Mike polished my acrylic tank for me with just a buffing wheel and compound; I was too scared to sand it anyway. There are a couple small scratches that the compound couldn't get out that probably would have needed sanding, but you can't see them unless you are 2" from the panel.

Honestly if you don't have any huge deep scratches, I'd just buff the tank with polish.
Shhh no one needs to know about me knowing how to polish. :eek:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: 300 DD build and fundraiser

Hahaha....sorry man! Guess I should delete that photo from my build thread. :p

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Not yet been working on my family room painting the ceiling on a 5' scaffold. Next week if the floors aren't in yet unless I get the steel for the stand and start on that. Going to go with a split stand so 2 72" x 24" x 36" stands bolted together 2" tubular steel 1/8" thick. Think that'll do?