my blue carpet anemone is getting some brown color on him..why?

this is new...my water is fine,corals are thriving,fish are happy...it has a anemone crab that host it...why is it getting brown strips on its beautiful pale blue color?

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Lights, parameters, etc. kinda need more info.

David

so are you saying its a healthy thing then,that the color is changing? It seems to be in lines or stripes of brown and it is eating fine so I dont think its sick...but what do I know, Im a newbee with only 3yrs of this hobbie

so are you saying its a healthy thing then,that the color is changing? It seems to be in lines or stripes of brown and it is eating fine so I dont think its sick...but what do I know, Im a newbee with only 3yrs of this hobbie . Also it is a blue carpet so its suppose to be blue,not brown so it confuses me of why its changing...as for the first comment Im running 4 lights FR48T12/VHO =2 WHITE AND 2 BLUE over a 75 gallon bow front

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

That's not enough light for a carpet. They require a lot of light.

David

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
kio707;249702 said:
That's not enough light for a carpet. They require a lot of light.

David
+1 +1 +1 Need some LEDs or quite a few t5HOs over that 75g. even a 125 halide over it couldnt hurt

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I disagree on the light issue. 4 vho's put out a lot of par. way more that 6 t5. they are power hogs but that's a different issue.

oh ok so is it dying then...i have had it for 3 yrs and this is the first its changed color and its been in the same tank.Those lights came with the tank

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
aliciaelledge;249715 said:
oh ok so is it dying then...i have had it for 3 yrs and this is the first its changed color and its been in the same tank.Those lights came with the tank
I'm saying the lighting system is fine! How long has it been since a bulb change, that may need to happen? VHO should be changed every 12 to 18 months. No one is suggesting that it is dying. We are all going through all the possibilities we can think of to help you come to a conclusion. That's typically what happens around here. Your tank params would be helpful, as well as thinking about ANYTHING that may have changed in the last few days or weeks.

not sure what you mean by params...i probably should change the bulbs then...i didnt think anything was wrong with bulbs cause the coral are growing like crazy so i thought all was fine...but im an admiture for sure..haha obviously cause i dont know what params means lol...thanks for the info EVERYONE...Im so glad I joined

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Your ammonia levels, pH, nitrites, nitrates. Parameters.

David

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can feed carpets. Has it been eating? A few mysis a day is just fine. Carpets will get nutrients from what they eat as well as the light.

The VHO is fine. If you don't know the last time the bulbs were changed, then I would put it on the list.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh, I forgot... is it sticky? If it has some stick, then it is not in too bad of shape.

I would look at nitrate and phosphates first. The rock that it is on looks devoid of life (even coralline), but since the crab is still alive, they cannot be super awful.

How long have you had the 'nem and crab?

Tt is sticky :D...I dont have any coralline and after doing research I NEED TO CHANGE MY BULBS!! maybe then,some will grow... sham on me for NOT KNOWING ...I just thought it was like all other bulbs in a house( Its no good when it stops working) :( as far as the crab goes, the guy I bought the tank from 3 yrs ago also decided a few months later that he didnt want his 30 gallon bio cube or the contents in it. I bought everything inside which included a ton of crabs of all kinds including 3 anemone crabs a decorator crab and much more.the rock contained so many green pulips and that dame crab killed them by pinching them off and sticking them to his back...he looked so funny but I was ****ed so i took him to my preschool room where I have nemo in our science area!! anyways I also got 2 of every kind of shrimp(my fav or the sexy shrimp,so cute) and then there are the 2 carpet anemones. One is hot pink with green edges veary healthy and happy and the pale blue.My friend is blown away with how much they have grown in my tank. The rock it is on has copapods and maybe I spelled that wrong,Im not sure but its the little baby shrimp that live under the rocks,well I got some in the rock the the anemone lives on that are as long as my thumb nail,also there are many of those tube like worms that throw out a hairline web and catch stuff in the water along with a bristle worm that I finally caught and killed.As far as feeding, I feed Mysis and krill and I have my water ammonia level , pH, nitrites, nitrates. everything is normal accept the nitraes are threw the roof and Im so mad at myself for not checking first WHAT AN IDIOT I AM!! Sorry to everyone for the inconvenience. I will need to step up to the plate and do more water changes so this doesnt happen again..Going to do a water change and try to bring the levels back down.

My nitrates are kept at zero with a skimmer. You might see if users here have a used one if you don't already have one. And i don't think i said welcome yet, so welcome!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

aliciaelledge;249770 said:
my ph is off too...its to low,its at 8 instead of 8.2 and my nitrate is so high its at 80...any suggestions on what I should do besides a huge water change
Your ph is fine. I'd do a series of small water changes. Maybe 10% every few days after 1 20% change.

I'd replace 1 bulb a week as well, rather than all at once. Don't shock the system.

Where did you have the water tested? What are all your numbers? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: my blue carpet anemone is getting some brown color on him..why?

I would do more smaller water changes instead one large one. And slow down on the feedings. This will help bring everything back in check without stress.

Sent from my C771

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't sweat the PH. There are a lot of reason why the Nitrate can be that high. Don't sweat the coralline either - it won't grow in nitrates that high. Did you test the phosphate? My guess is that it is pretty high too.

Skim, change water and feed less. All will help, but none alone are a magic bullet.