New 40 gallon breeder tank build starting soon...

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got my overflow in from glass-holes yesterday and took my tanks over to Great White today. Vince is drilling for the overflow and return and putting the baffles in my sump. I will try to get the stand painted this weekend. Will post pics when ready.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stand is sanded but I need to paint it. I have been busy packing all day for the move so haven't done anything yet. Maybe tonight. I will be putting a primer on first then painting black inside and out with an outdoor type paint to prevent rot and warping.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Picked up my drilled 40 and my built 20 long sump from great white on Saturday. Decided I am going to buy a stand because I am too busy to finish building the stand I already have. I am willing to sell the stand and materials to finish it. I paid $15 for stand, plus around $50 for paint, brushes, and top sheet of wood. I have sanded the stand and am willing to sell it all for $35. It needs to be gone before Saturday.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can't wait to get this tank going!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyDiv3r17;309346 said:
Oh man.. I just started building mine.. How tall is it?
Sorry, I saw your reply. I was really busy with moving. I decided to keep the stand. I am still in the process of unpacking and getting settled in the house. Hopefully I can get the stand painted this weekend so I can get the tank set up and running. I have been soaking my dry BRS rock since about August and ghost feeding every once and a while so hopefully the tank won't take long to cycle. I have 50 lbs Bahamas Oolite live sand to put in and some beneficial bacteria to get things jump started.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stand is painted and ready all I need to do now is paint the back of the tank, get a screen for the top and get my drip tray in from Aquatic Art.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Move went fine. Something is going on in my tank right now which is causing some STN. Can't figure it out though. My parameters are good, temp 80, salinity 1.025, Alk 9, calcium 420, mag 1250. Only thing I can think of is either too much nutrients since algae is out of control, or there was something in the buckets when I did the move. I have done 4 water changes over the course of a month and still seeing some STN. I cut back a lot of my colonies and have taken some corals to Aquatic Art to hold on to until I get the 40 ready. Other than that, the house is awesome and I am so stoked with the move!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Nice grats man on the new house. Hope you get the STN figured out though and loss are minimal.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Synden. So far I lost a blue Palmer Mille and some of my Alabama Tort. My Hawkins Echinata now has it. Hopefully that will be the last of it.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank is plumbed. Going to do a leak test this weekend and if all goes well, I will be filling it and getting the rock and sand in. Only thing I need at this point is a screen for the top to prevent the fish from jumping out.

Here is my tentative stock list. Feel free to chime in if you think there will be any aggression issues or if I should consider different fish. Also, what do you think would be the best sequence to introduce them into the tank? Thanks.

ORA Clown B/W Ocellaris (have)
ORA Pajama Cardinalfish (have)
ORA Red Mandarin dragonet
Panamic Barnacle Blenny
Purple fire fish pair
Yellow Coris wrasse
Pipefish

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Filled tank to do a leak test and everything went fine. I moved the tank into the room that it will be stationed. Because of the plumbing coming out of the back of the tank, the tank sits about 7" away from the wall. I decided I will put two slats of wood between the back of the stand and the wall to hide the space and plumbing. Then I will get the tank started. Hopefully I will have time today to pick up the wood and paint it black to match the stand. I will post pics once I get that done and start filling.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got the wood picked up and painted today. While waiting for it to dry, I built the screen top and assembled the light. Looks like the hinge screws I have to place the wood slats on the back of the stand are too long. Looks like another trip to the hardware store... I am so close to getting this tank started I can taste it!

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got everything put together and set up. Now I just need to add water, sand and rocks!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wow right on Shaun this looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job man, I dig it!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Nice little setup. Get it filled :)