New 40 gallon breeder tank build starting soon...

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys. I started making the saltwater tonight but I need to get more r.o. so I have enough water. At this point I only have 17 gallons. This tank will be filled and running by this weekend. I tested the mp10w and need to figure out how to quiet it down a bit. It's quite loud at this point.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's still a little cloudy because I moved the rocks around a bit today but here are a few photos. The aquascape is not done yet because the rocks from the 17 will go in here when the tank is cycled. I will also be putting the Kessil on this tank to go with the T5. Once everything is moved over, my 17 will turn into a mangrove tank with a few Bangai Cardinals.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Nice Shaun, looking good!!!!! I like the nice clean open sump area. Def a great 40 breeder build so far.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks CRW. I am very excited about this tank. My 17 gallon is small and simple with no sump. So, getting all of this new equipment is a great new challenge for me. I know it will also increase the health if the livestock. Can't wait for it to be cycled!

Shaunv;316641 said:
It's still a little cloudy because I moved the rocks around a bit today but here are a few photos. The aquascape is not done yet because the rocks from the 17 will go in here when the tank is cycled. I will also be putting the Kessil on this tank to go with the T5. Once everything is moved over, my 17 will turn into a mangrove tank with a few Bangai Cardinals.

Looks good! I will be setting up my 40B this weekend!

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Yodareefer. I am getting ready to start putting stuff in the tank. It's been up for 3 weeks now. I will start by putting a little GSP on my overflow and see how it survives then start adding fish and other corals. Good luck with your build. It sure is fun!

Where did you decide to get the return and drain holes drilled? I'm debating on a c2c or other overflow on my 40. Just curious what size holes you went with and where

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Frostyfish, I got the tank drilled and sump built at Great White by Vince. He did a great job! I purchased a 700gph overflow from glass holes. The over flow uses 1.5" bulkheads. According to Glass-holes, "2 3/8" (62 mm) aquarium holesaw. Just what the doctor ordered for our 1 1/2 inch bulkheads. Use care and coolant."

the return line is 3/4" with a lock line nozzle. I put the overflow as high and to one side as I could and same with return on the other side. I will have to measure the space between the top and sides to give an exact location for you.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry for the iPhone pics, but here is the tank. I redid the aquascape and transferred my corals and fish today.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya, I was thinking that but I got the T5 going all the way across and the Kessil in the middle. The outer edges are definitely darker but in real life, not as dark as the picture shows. I will have to figure out how to take pictures of the tank. Lol. I will take a video. I know how to do that. :)

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;322619 said:
PSSHHH .... Not like you do it for a profession or anything like that :p
:smile-new:

Can't wait for MACNA to start filling this tank up. I need to get my fish order in too. I think I'll start with a yellow Coris wrasse.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;322621 said:
:smile-new:

Can't wait for MACNA to start filling this tank up. I need to get my fish order in too. I think I'll start with a yellow Coris wrasse.

Are you going all tank raised again?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;322624 said:
Are you going all tank raised again?
I'd like to but I know wrasses are not tank bred. Other than that one fish, the rest on my list are available tank bred as far as I can tell. I am also looking for Aquacultured/Maricultured corals too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does this fish stock seem ok? Too many fish? Could I add more fish?

ORA Clown B/W Ocellaris (have)
ORA Pajama Cardinalfish
ORA Red Mandarin dragonet
ORA Neon goby pair
Panamic Barnacle Blenny
Purple fire fish pair
Yellow Coris wrasse
Pipefish

This would be 10 fish total.any other suggestions?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;322633 said:
Does this fish stock seem ok? Too many fish? Could I add more fish?

ORA Clown B/W Ocellaris (have)
ORA Pajama Cardinalfish
ORA Red Mandarin dragonet
ORA Neon goby pair
Panamic Barnacle Blenny
Purple fire fish pair
Yellow Coris wrasse
Pipefish

This would be 10 fish total.any other suggestions?
What kind of pipefish? Because some are ok with those fish and some are not ok and would be better suited to a seahorse tank. Dragonface pipefish are fine for full reef settings but things like a banded pipefish are not a good idea.

As for total fish that should be fine. Make sure you get yourself a small barnacle cluster for the barnacle blenny. Here is a link to where you can buy them: http://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/rock

you could probably get away with 2-4 more fish depending on what they are. And make sure you add them slowly over time and not overwhelm the tank.

Now as for the stock list here is my personal opinion :p

*ditch the pajama cardinal
*add a fairy/flasher wrasse a tricolor fairy would be a good option
* add 2 more barnacle blennies and make it a community :)

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;322641 said:
What kind of pipefish? Because some are ok with those fish and some are not ok and would be better suited to a seahorse tank. Dragonface pipefish are fine for full reef settings but things like a banded pipefish are not a good idea.

As for total fish that should be fine. Make sure you get yourself a small barnacle cluster for the barnacle blenny. Here is a link to where you can buy them: http://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/rock

you could probably get away with 2-4 more fish depending on what they are. And make sure you add them slowly over time and not overwhelm the tank.

Now as for the stock list here is my personal opinion :p

*ditch the pajama cardinal
*add a fairy/flasher wrasse a tricolor fairy would be a good option
* add 2 more barnacle blennies and make it a community :)
I already have a barnacle cluster in the middle of the tank just behind the rock opening. I will probably move it so the blennies are more visible. I will consider getting 3 blennies. As for pipefish, I was thinking dragon face but am ok not having one. The pajama is something my girlfriend wants and can go in the 17 gallon mangrove tank. I was thinking of putting 2 bangaii's in the 17 as well. Would you do the fairy wrasse instead of the yellow Coris?

Last edited by a moderator: