Offering Hands On DIY Acrylic Class

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
BrianH;348879 said:
Thanks for doing this!
+1 I've been around for a little and never seen anyone do this so very awesome of you Shawn and I look forward to learning everything. I'll bring some beer if everyone is okay with that haha. Not to much just enough to enjoy while everyone is building.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
BrianH;348879 said:
Thanks for doing this!
+1 I've been around for a little and never seen anyone do this so very awesome of you Shawn and I look forward to learning everything. I'll bring some beer if everyone is okay with that haha. Not to much just enough to enjoy while everyone is building.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I thought of something else that I wanted to make for myself: I am going to build 3 dosing containers to hold Alk and Calc. I am going to make a third just for the heck of it (maybe Mag or something else). Just more ideas for everyone...

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got all of the items entered so far for Juan and Brian. Here is the cut sheet the way it stands now. The 3/4" sheet is pretty full, but we have some decent space on the 1/2" sheets.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
For those that may need it, I have create a spreadsheet that calculates recommended thickness for the tank acrylic, total volume and dimensions for cutting each panel.

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't know that I have anything I need to make right now... Will think about it for a day or two. Maybe some frag racks for my 90 cube. But let me known when you are doing it I would like to come hang out and learn for when I need to build something. Steve

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sure thing - looks like we will shoot for the last weekend in May - either day. I would like to do it outside if it is nice.

I'm wondering if a frag tank could be done with a built in sump, like a nano. Have water cascade over a baffle into a three part sump and pumped back up to the other end of the tank. That way it is all self contained. Put a little mini skimmer on one end. Wouldn't have to be a big frag tank because I am not trying to sell. Maybe 2'x2', then extra foot for the sump section.

I also need a ten gallon storage container for ATO. I don't have plumbing hooked up to my tank and my wife hid my drill so I can't run water lines through the floor. 10 gallons would let me go away for the weekend without worrying about the sump going dry.

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
19TheSaint75;348942 said:
I'm wondering if a frag tank could be done with a built in sump, like a nano. Have water cascade over a baffle into a three part sump and pumped back up to the other end of the tank. That way it is all self contained. Put a little mini skimmer on one end. Wouldn't have to be a big frag tank because I am not trying to sell. Maybe 2'x2', then extra foot for the sump section.

I also need a ten gallon storage container for ATO. I don't have plumbing hooked up to my tank and my wife hid my drill so I can't run water lines through the floor. 10 gallons would let me go away for the weekend without worrying about the sump going dry.
I like that idea. Down the road I want to build a 2'×4'x16" frag with a sump below or a 2'x5'or6' frag with a sump on the end.
SkyDiv3r17 built a really nice 40b all in one. There is a thread somewhere. That design would work if shortened to a frag tank depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
19TheSaint75;348945 said:

Rough sketch of my idea for an all in one "nano" frag tank. Didn't put a depth, but I think 12" would suffice?
I pretty much get it, but let's talk on the phone or you could even come over for a little bit if you want to draw some options out.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Juan - your inbox is full...

We can just talk over the phone - just want to get the dimensions and plans for everything you want to build.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I still can't reach Juan - does anyone have contact info for him? Or can you give him a little more inbox quota :)