Seachem Fuel

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Who's used this? Picked up a small bottle since I got some softies and birdsnest frags now. Would like to help promote their growth. Seems too easy, one capful per 30g every week?

What are your experiences, and comparable products.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I never got anything out of any comparable products. It looks like kent essential elements and some food, to me. I am not sure what they do that you cannot get out of feeding your fish a little bit more (food) and keeping up on water changes (elements). For softies and birdsnest, just keep your PO4 and NO3 barely detectable (clean, but not too clean) and have some good light. They should grow like crazy.

If you don't like the change water, then they could be pretty good.

You might need to use it for a few weeks, or a month, to see if it does anything.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Start out using much less than what they recommend, then work your way up. If you have cyano in your tank, there's a chance that it'll appreciate the "fuel" as much as your corals IME...so that's my one disclaimer.

I agree though, my zoa coloration was insane with that stuff. I may start using it in the 20L when it matures a little more...but right now it's banned from my nanocube due to cyano.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
I do have a tiny bit of Cyno, but I moved my MP10's down lower to hopefully helps. Got good 3w lighting and flow. Usually flow is a big Cyano deal. Need to check Phos though. Thanks guys. I'll start slow, maybe half dose for a couple weeks.

Also was running a weak Mag3, already changed up to a new Mag5 and the flow is very good. Still need to buy/build a small ATS, just haven't found the time or good light to use. Running a small bagful of Seachem ReefGel (mostly carbon, some phosgard) in the back sump.

I went through hell with cyano.. I did chemi clean by directions with water changes and turning off skimmer and itd come right back. So I did it without turning off skimmer and not doing a water change , bought a huge shipment of snails from ebay 260 snails for 20 bucks, and poof problem gone.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
260 snails for how big a tank?!

its a 46 gallon so i put 100 in there and the rest in my 90. and they do awesome! at night i turn my lights off and pow they are all over cleaning my glass which is awesome for keeping the glass clean but most the day they hide under sand so it stirs up the sand very well.. it helped losin up the cyano alot so i didnt even put a power head down there after getting them cause the snails and some chemi clean did the trick...and not doing a water change with it didnt affect my corals AT ALL.

haha dont laugh but they were the .... nassarius ?? snails. dont know if thats how its spelled or if that anywhere near the name but .. they were the sand snails. haha

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Ok, good to know, I was worried I had too many snails (20 or 30) in a 60. Guess I need more, haha.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
We want pics of the 46!! I just setup an acrylic bowfront 46 and interested how yours turned out.

I have tons of snail in my 46 and love it I never can get pics to work on here but I'll try again. Keep in mind I lost a whole bunch of coral due to stupid airline on skimmer falling off and draining my tank in the basement for two days lol but lemme see if I can get it to work

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;212461 said:
Start out using much less than what they recommend, then work your way up. If you have cyano in your tank, there's a chance that it'll appreciate the "fuel" as much as your corals IME...so that's my one disclaimer.

I agree though, my zoa coloration was insane with that stuff. I may start using it in the 20L when it matures a little more...but right now it's banned from my nanocube due to cyano.
This was my experience as well. Corals liked it but so did the cyano. I got equally good results from the elos omega 3 and no cyano side effects.

Haha. It worked nvm. This was the other day right when lights came on and everything is pretty closed up. Well everything that survived

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Kalgra;212476 said:
This was my experience as well. Corals liked it but so did the cyano. I got equally good results from the elos omega 3 and no cyano side effects.
Noted!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalgra;212476 said:
Good to know. I was thinking about trying the Elos Omega product. The nice thing is that it has the amino acids without the Vitamin-C component...which ends up being a carbon source for cyano in some tanks.

Thanks for sharing

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Is it Phos or Vit-C that promotes Cyano (besides bad flow and bad lighting)? I read it isn't Nitrates, but mainly Phos. Didn't know you gotta watch for Vit-C...

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;212484 said:
Good to know. I was thinking about trying the Elos Omega product. The nice thing is that it has the amino acids without the Vitamin-C component...which ends up being a carbon source for cyano in some tanks.

Thanks for sharing

I believe you are correct. I got the same cyano reaction when I was dosing vitamin C. I use the Elos omega 3 in combination with the Elos coral carbs and reef chili and my stuff started coloring up really nice inside a week. On the down side its about 10x more expensive dosing these three products vs the fuel.