Seachem Fuel

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I use Seachem Fuel and will nenver go back. Picked it up on accident. There was a bottle sitting on the counter at Elite when I was chekcing out, Mike rang it up as part of my order and I didnt realize it until I got home, BEST MISTAKE EVER! Use slime away for your cyano, Ive had great luck with it and never had any issues with it affecting my livestock, took about 3 days and a water cange and BAM, no more red slime!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghosty;212486 said:
Is it Phos or Vit-C that promotes Cyano (besides bad flow and bad lighting)? I read it isn't Nitrates, but mainly Phos. Didn't know you gotta watch for Vit-C...
From what I understand/researched, cyano growth is promoted by not just phosphate, but a PO4 - Nitrate imbalance. If you have phosphates and an absence of nitrates, you end up with cyano growth. If you have zero nutrients, obviously you have nothing to worry about...and if you have a balanced ratio, then macro algaes (or even nuisance algaes) are able to outcompete the cyanobacteria for PO4 consumption. Cyano also utilizes carbon for photosynthesis in the carbon fixation process...same as plants and algae. Vitamin-C is essentially a carbon source, which helps feed cyano.

Chances are if you have cyano under control, you would be fine to dose vitamin-C...but in my case whenever I added fuel to my tank my cyano immediately spread. I don't have a HUGE issue with it in my tank, and I have plenty of flow and good lighting. It's mainly just popping up in areas where detritus tends to collect on a few of my rocks. If my hermit crabs would stop eating my snails, I probably wouldn't have this problem. ;) I also got lazy and didn't change out the media in my GFO reactor for 8 weeks...and at week 6 I had done a tear-down of my tank to catch a coral-nipping fish. I should have replaced the GFO at that point.

In any case, it's almost under control again, but it's just always sleeping/hiding somewhere in the tank just waiting for a dose of fuel, lol. Last time I thought it was gone, I dosed some, and BAM it was back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Good info, thx. I don't have any fancy reactors, heh. And don't wanna try playing with Vodka. Might try some Peroxide, but everything looks pretty good now. I only have a few spots of Cyano in same places as you. We'll see how the MP10 moves work out too. Skimmer still skimming.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If you have a low nutrient system fuel, and products like it are great. I use fuel from time to time and it works great. Def notice algae growing on the glass and such more while using it but the corals need it in a low nutrient environment.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used a bottle of it a while ago. Never really noticed any difference. Maybe a little bit of brown diatom's on the glass, but no dramatic change in corals.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used it in my old system before I tore it down. After about a month my alk/ca consumption increased and I noticed visibly richer colors in my SPS. I have it auto dosed now, 6ml per day (.5ml every 2 hours). Not sure how well its doing in my new system since I have been using since day one. I think I do about half the recommended dose. Also, my system is recovering from 2 tank moves and a upgrade. I have faith it works though and will continue to use it.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
bigfoot610;212515 said:
Cyanobacteria CANNOT utilize ammonia nitrate or nitriites in any way shape or form ..............................................
That's what I originally read in the latest threads out there, but then someone talked about the ratio to other chemistry in the tank. Worth reading more too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
you have to refrigerate fuel after opening or else it will start to slime up on you.... i used to auto-dose it until i found it clogged my line and dosing pump.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;212570 said:
you have to refrigerate fuel after opening or else it will start to slime up on you.... i used to auto-dose it until i found it clogged my line and dosing pump.
Never had that issue and I have been dosing it for a few months now.

I sent Seachem a email in regards to this issue as well. Here is the correspondence:

According to the directions for fuel it states - shake well before using. I assume this means I cannot hook it up to a dosing pump for continuous feed?

Also, the ingredient list shows that it has ascorbic acid which is a known as a carbon source IIRC. Can this product be safely used alongside vinegar dosing without effecting my current regimen?

Their response:

Hey Kris,
We use dosing units on all of our show tanks with no problems with Fuel. While shaking will ensure the product is well blended, it does not settle out as quickly as many similar products. Depending on how larger your dosing container is and how quickly you will deplete it, you may just give it a little shake once or twice a week.

There should not be much of an impact on your vinegar dosing but it would not hurt to start off with a half dose and work you way up over a period of a week or so. If you notice a bacterial bloom, you can back off the dose a bit and see how things go. I really do not think there will be any complications but there are so many variables that it is impossible to say for sure. Please let us know if you have any trouble or additional questions.
Product Support

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interesting... that led me to find this:

"Q: I just noticed that my bottle of fuel says to refrigerate after opening. Is my bottle bad since I have not done so?

A:
It is perfectly fine to not refrigerate this product. Refrigeration is recommended if the product will be kept for several months. Depending on how long you will be using the bottle for, you may consider refrigerating it to keep the nutrients intact. If you will use up the bottle within only a couple months, you can just keep it at room temperature."

Now I am curious to know why I had the slime issue with it. I'll try at it again with this new system and see if it does it again.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I go through a bottle a months in my 60g cube :p I love it. BTW my tank is super dense with coral to filling in the high useage :p