Seneye release date?

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I heard back from seneye today. They're trying to get their supply chain to the us up in time for the holidays, but no promises yet.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
Sent from Tapatalk

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just got word that Beta testing for this in the states is about to start. this one should be interesting to see.

Michael Rice
Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;123640 said:
Where do we sign up for the beta test?
I think they're selecting from the people who signed up in the beginning.

Michael Rice

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure if that's the same. I never tried putting it in the cart. Are you getting one?

Michael Rice

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;124911 said:
What do you think about this setup mike?

300 gallon mixed reef
90 gallon bowfront fowlr
I think if it works it's one of the most amazing tools to come out. If it turns out to be accurate, this would be the most useful tool halide our t5 users could have.

Michael Rice

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
mikejrice;124929 said:
Not sure if that's the same. I never tried putting it in the cart. Are you getting one?

Michael Rice
maybe ....probably not though ...still trying to find a light for my frag tank

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
I think it would be a great tool. I really am only intrested in the par meter. Though on the web site they say that the par it reads is different than the PAR a Appogee meter reads. I wonder if they are simply converting lux to par? Thats what worries me. I am not concered with shift or decrease in par but really want to know stanard par that certain coral is getting.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
andyrm66;124936 said:
I think it would be a great tool. I really am only intrested in the par meter. Though on the web site they say that the par it reads is different than the PAR a Appogee meter reads. I wonder if they are simply converting lux to par? Thats what worries me. I am not concered with shift or decrease in par but really want to know stanard par that certain coral is getting.
im gonna guess its designed more to determine a decrease in light vs. precise PAR that a certain coral is getting

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;124950 said:
Simply? You must be really smart mister, please post your equation.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
i think the problem is that there is no equation so in reality i assume they are just giving you a close guess

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hope that's not what they're doing. You can't convert something that's weighted like the human eye to something weighted for photosynthesis. Even approximating that way is a useless shout in the dark.

Michael Rice

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
That’s exactly what I meant, thanks Don.
There are close guesses such as

"To get Lux reading you need to multiply PAR by:

Sun - 55.2
Incandescent lamp 49.0
Cool white 78.8
Vita-Lite 62.8
Gro-Lux 37.0
Gro-Lux Wide Spectrum 55.1
HPS 83.3
MH Lamp 74.5"

Given that on the website regarding par, they state should only be used forcomparison with another Senseye, and that fact Quantum Meters are $, and theyalso speak of changing the formulas they use to arrive at readings, Im not surehow they are doing it. As I said, I will post the reply once I get one fromthem.

That work for ya?
J

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
mikejrice;124957 said:
I hope that's not what they're doing. You can't convert something that's weighted like the human eye to something weighted for photosynthesis. Even approximating that way is a useless shout in the dark.

Michael Rice
well its just a guess although IF they only use one light sensor and say right up front that their PAR reads different than apogee i would call it a logical one

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
Mike,
Its useless, unless you are trying to measure change, such as bulb life. Then it works, for just that, figuring out when to change bulbs, but its about worthless if you get a coral from a friend with a Quantum meter, and he tells you stick it under 400 par, then you take it home and use a non standard Senseye to give it "400" par.

Im really curious to see what they say, if it truely is a quantum meter, count me in.

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's actually worse to use for bulb life. As a bulb ages it dims, but it also shifts more to red green which a lux meter is weighted towards. This means that the two signs of age can off set each other. Using lux to measure par is about as accurate as trying to eye ball it because it is designed to measure what we see. The seneye couples it's par meter with a spectrum reading though, so it should still be able to tell when to change bulbs.

Michael Rice