Smiley's Salt System

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;209206 said:
small update:

I finished painting the 2 walls, and decided to continue on and do the rest of the basement i have access to. Between my footing and floor is a 1/2" gap that had felt or some **** filling it. some place it is gone. I need to fill this gap with some type of sealer. It was recommended to me to use some grey self leveling **** in a yellow tube, which cost $7 each. I got 2 tubes and got about 8ft filled. About an hour later it had all self leveled itself into the gap thus still leaving a gap. What different should I use? I have Radon entering my basement so I would want it to help reduce that issue as well.

I recieved all my replacement filters and extra equiplment for my ro/di from the group buy. I got it all hooked up last night and turned it on. My pressure is about 80psi right after the canisters and before the membranes. My auto shut off valve started leaking through the case. Figured either I have too much pressure for it or i need a new one. Just ordered 2 from BRS in hopes it fixes the problem.
Professional grade expando foam is rated for radon, not cheap but get the low expansion and it will work great. Seals easy and you can trim off the inside if you don't like the look

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Before we moved in, we ha radon levels checked and it was 14. We made them install a mitigation system which brought it down to 2. I still want it lower since I will be spending most of my time down there.

Sent from my C771

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
14, wow, that's pretty high. If you have a mitigation system, I do recommend trying to get the whole floor sealed. The system installers don't always talk about that, but we had one in our old house...lots of cracks in our basement floor...created really bad negative pressure issue in our house (such as, our wood burning fireplace smoke would fill up the living room versus go out the chimney so we couldn't use it). I don't think 2 makes much health impact, that's lower than most granite countertop radon emissions. The best thing anyone can do about lower radon levels is open windows for 20 minutes every few weeks. Or drink your skimmer cup, I hear that increases radioactive tolerance.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
skimmer juice.... yummm!

they just cut a hole in my floor, put some 6" pipe in, sealed it with caulk, and ran an inline fan up to the edge of my roof. Im caulking the rest of the edges now and tomorrow going to work on painting more walls. ill probably start working on the floors in a couple days.

doing all this work has got me looking at how to do my dining room tank. Im getting anxious.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got a bunch of things done, figured i would do an update.

I finished painting the walls, as well as the rest of the basement. I changed my mind on how I wanted to do things since bigger and better projects are in my future. To start off, I wanted to be sure I was able to do water changes easily, so I installed a drain system into the existing kitchen sink drain. I should be able to turn a valve and drain my system into the house drain.
[attachment=63197:name]
[attachment=63198:name]

I also didnt want to have to use buckets or a siphon hose to fill my tank back up so I installed a water mixing station and plumbed it into my sump. This will allow me to turn a valve and fill my tank with premixed water.
[attachment=63199:name]
[attachment=63200:name]
[attachment=63201:name]

This should save me time and chance of spilling water throughout the house.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I installed my ro/di system so that i could use it for this system as well as my future in-wall system.
[attachment=63202:name]

Now all that is left is to get the remainder of the plumbing done and get this mess cleaned up.

[attachment=63203:name]
[attachment=63204:name]
[attachment=63205:name]

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
started putting water into part of the contraption. i hope im a better plumber than what i portray on tv...

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
About 3 days ago, i added about 2 inches of sand that had been rinsed with ro numerous times and then frozen at least 4 times. I also dosed some Bactiv8 and let it run. I installed my Apex Lite and got my heaters installed. Yesterday I added a container of Fiji Mud. They claim on the jar is should be clear by the next day....... boy were they wrong! The only thing running right now is the return pump and heaters. Figured I would let it run for a week or so and then add a couple pounds of rock.

[attachment=63276:name]

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
thanks! ... still trying to find a nice 95wide or a 120 for my office. No rush though.... i still need to put together a nice stand. I found some nice cabinets but need to stain them as well as order a piece of this Sensa Granite to match my Kitchen.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Smiley's Salt System

That's a sexy system. The sump is just a out the size of the tank I want to build (a bit bigger) lol

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Started my skimmer up and pulled about 35g of nasty *** water out... I can actually see through the tank now.

[attachment=63288:name]

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
added a little bit of dry rock i had in storage along with a shrimp/goby pair. The caulerpa is growing pretty quick, and you can notice a brown algae growing on the sand.

[attachment=63382:name]