The Versatile Frag Plug Project.

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
I have read that before, but they were frustratingly vague as to which plastics they tested. These are nylon which is a material commonly used in reef tanks (breeder nets for instance). Injection molded ones are Polypropylene on my machine, but will most likely be polycarbonate in commercial production. I too am wary of toxic plastic and I'm making sure that any plastic I use is safe for aquatic life.

I have sent out out some of the 3D printed versions for beta testing, and have not had any complaints about potential toxicity.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
I believe the ones tested were ones that the 3d printer uses UV light to cure the plastic and that the findings were the plastic not being fully cured. I know nothing about 3d printing but it's enough to scare me off until injection molds are made. Awesome plugs for sure. Idea of what they may cost for 100 plugs?

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
100 discs: $60
100 rock anchors: $40
100 sand anchors: $50

reusable SPS clip: $1 each
reusable soft coral holder: $1 each
bioresorbable SPS clip: $0.75-$2 each

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
I've been diligently working on this project with quite a few hiccups along the way. The main disc and the detachable rock anchor post will go into production within the next 6 weeks, which I'm very excited about! The "softie smasher" was not too successful in tests, but I believe a modified version will be. I have some other prototypes I've made that seem promising including a conversion thingy to bridge the gap between functional plastic discs and natural looking agrocrete discs. Anyway, here is my Sand Anchor adapter:

It also attaches to eggcrate just like all the others.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Glad for the bump, never saw the original thread, and now I'm enthused to see the revision 2.0 of softy smasher. Just the semi rigid rock screws is phenomenal paired with the original base that is egg crate friendly. Something to glue rock rubble to is all I think folk that need natural really need. Otherwise black isn't bad and will cover over anyhow. Make sure to bump when I can order!

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
Will do! The first run will be smallish and available internationally, so I am accepting a small number of pre-orders for those who want to make sure they get them. You'll have to google for the website, because I'm not a sponsor yet, so cannot advertise.

I'm simultaneously pursuing three different strategies for natural plugs.
-All plastic injection molded
-Glue on adapter for rubble
-Insert adapter for DIY agrocrete plugs
I should have the first demo-prototypes in May.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Without one in hand, dont have a feel for length of the sand plug. I might suggest 2 lengths. One for a standard to deep sand bed, and possibly a stubbier one for shallow sand beds, so like half an inch or less. Wouldn't mess with design trying to make a flare or anything, just simply have the tips lopped off. May be less effective of course but still better than flat disk perhaps.

Edit: Ordered, happy to be supporting the endeavor though at that price seems to not be enough profit to fund further "research" lol.

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
Like this one?

Thank you for your support!!! I'm really looking forward to growing this endeavor with many more products and the initial support will allow that to happen.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow, this is a great idea!!
I will have to find the website and order up some.
One question, on the sand plug, why not an upside down umbrella on the base to keep it from tipping over?

Tango

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Me either i just found threads with the same stuff as here. On one thread a guy actually ordered some

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
projectx;n645519 said:
Wow, this is a great idea!!
I will have to find the website and order up some.
One question, on the sand plug, why not an upside down umbrella on the base to keep it from tipping over?
Thank you! I like the umbrella idea, that seems like it would improve the function, I'll see if I can whip up a couple versions of that.

Tango

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Crotalus;645535 said:
They are called Coralok Frag Discs and Coralok Rock Anchors. I fully intend on becoming a sponsor, just haven't done it yet.
I just did the pre order hope i did it right it didnt charge me for shipping. Excited to try it

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Tango

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Crotalus;645612 said:
Thank you!! That's awesome! There is no shipping charge on the pre-orders, another perk for the early adopters to say thank you.
When can the sps holder and softy holder be ordered