1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

The Versatile Frag Plug Project.

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects' started by spinycheek, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Cherub

Cherub Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

very cool website and I'm glad you have the 3d print models. Is there a specific recommended plastic that's reef safe?

2. spinycheek

spinycheek Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots

Thanks! I was waiting for my testing to conclude to make sure they work as intended. So far I'm pretty happy with the results. Works best with sticks rather than plates.

Crowther likes this.
  3. spinycheek

spinycheek Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots

I believe that most of the common plastics used on FDM printers are reef safe. Just avoid the ones with metal powder in them like the magnetic or conductive ones. The printers that use UV curing liquid resin can leach stuff that might be toxic to marine life, so I would avoid using that kind of plastic in large quantities. I've used PLA, Nylon, PC, ABS and Acetal with no problems, both colored and uncolored. My preferred printing material however is PLA because it sinks in water and prints easily. Some people are worried about PLA because it's often advertised as biodegradable and so the fear is it won't hold up for very long, but it takes decades under ideal composting conditions for that to happen so it's really not worth worrying about.

Cherub likes this.
  4. spinycheek

Zoanthid grow out plate. Frag your matting or encrusting corals with minimal effort and stress to the coral.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Balz3352 likes this.
  5. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Awesome idea!! I'd use that right now!

6. spinycheek

$1 per square inch, just let me know.

7. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

How many little squares per square inch? I think that question makes sense

8. spinycheek

6.25 squares per square inch. It's not exact because I build in metric, but the above 25 square piece is 4 square inches.

9. Balz3352

I wonder how it does close to a power head does it blow around?

10. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Good question. Might need some little spikes to hold it down if you have a sand bed.

11. Fitz19d

Fitz19d Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Id love to try maybe 12 or 15 square inches. Come in blocks that size or like a cut to fit sheet.

12. spinycheek

Put it directly in front of my ecotech MP10 on the apex of a rock and it stayed there. Wobbled a little back and forth, but considering that's a terrible location, it holds up pretty well. This was without using any means to attach it, just resting on the rock. Adding rock anchors, sand anchors, rack adapters, etc is also an option.

13. Balz3352

Ill try some out too. What part of town are you in?

14. spinycheek

I made it into a sheet that is about 5 x 5 inches which totals 144 squares. So that can be cut down to any size you want.

15. spinycheek

I am in Westminster, so not too far away.

16. High Plains Reefer

High Plains Reefer Sardine Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

are you bringing some of these to reef ed?

17. spinycheek

I will be in France unfortunately, so can't attend. But I'll try to get my stuff over there somehow.

18. Balz3352

Pm sent

19. spinycheek

SkyShark likes this.
  20. Fitz19d

Fitz19d Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

From a quick skim, I'd try to figure out more pics or exciting looking description to catch peoples eye that these arn't just expensive plugs. (the clipping into egg crate etc.)