What do you want for the club?

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd like to see a club PAR meter also.
I'd also like to see us try and lure some of the old timers back from the old days. I know a lot of them are still reefing.
And, I'd like to see our club more involved with Jake Adams and ReefStock.

Another thing that would be nice is for someone local to carry DIY LED materials (mostly CREE LEDs and some decent drivers, not the Chinese POS's).
I know this last one is less a club function than a wish list for me :)

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
It would be great to get some "old timers" for the knowledge. Then you and I could feel younger:)
Zooid;114796 said:
I'd like to see a club PAR meter also.
I'd also like to see us try and lure some of the old timers back from the old days. I know a lot of them are still reefing.
And, I'd like to see our club more involved with Jake Adams and ReefStock.

Another thing that would be nice is for someone local to carry DIY LED materials (mostly CREE LEDs and some decent drivers, not the Chinese POS's).
I know this last one is less a club function than a wish list for me :)

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd like to see a continued emphasis on education. Using this club as a tool to educate others about the ocean and it's inhabitants is integral if we are to continue enjoying this hobby in the future. With the spur of the show tanked, this is a great time to use our club as a tool to educate those who may not be familiar with aquaria, or who may think that the hobby is as easy as portrayed on the show.

I think that generating interest in younger hobbyists is also crucial as they will help to spearhead ideas that will further our industry and hopefully the conservation of these cool critters. Partnering with schools at all stages to generate new hobbyists is a great way to grow our club, our membership, and our awareness!

Lastly I would like to continue to see this club build relationships with our local shops. Having been in this industry for a long time and traveling to shops around the world, I speak to other shop owners with great pride about our club, because we do things differently and try to drive our membership to our local shops. So many other reef clubs out there want to focus solely on endorsements and participation from online vendors that the great majority of LFS owners out there have a very negative outlook on reef clubs. I think it is awesome that we are different and I would love to see this trend to continue and to see us being a benchmark for other clubs.

Lastly, I would like to see more done between the 3 local clubs, but I know that this can be difficult.

Cheers!
Jon

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
jonthefb;114801 said:
I'd like to see a continued emphasis on education. Using this club as a tool to educate others about the ocean and it's inhabitants is integral if we are to continue enjoying this hobby in the future. With the spur of the show tanked, this is a great time to use our club as a tool to educate those who may not be familiar with aquaria, or who may think that the hobby is as easy as portrayed on the show.

I think that generating interest in younger hobbyists is also crucial as they will help to spearhead ideas that will further our industry and hopefully the conservation of these cool critters. Partnering with schools at all stages to generate new hobbyists is a great way to grow our club, our membership, and our awareness!

Lastly I would like to continue to see this club build relationships with our local shops. Having been in this industry for a long time and traveling to shops around the world, I speak to other shop owners with great pride about our club, because we do things differently and try to drive our membership to our local shops. So many other reef clubs out there want to focus solely on endorsements and participation from online vendors that the great majority of LFS owners out there have a very negative outlook on reef clubs. I think it is awesome that we are different and I would love to see this trend to continue and to see us being a benchmark for other clubs.

Lastly, I would like to see more done between the 3 local clubs, but I know that this can be difficult.

Cheers!
Jon
Mantid;114802 said:
^ Cant beat that. Taking it back to the roots of why we are here. Well said Jon.
I'm going to jump on the former board member bandwagon here.

Education was the building block that this club was built on and I'd hate for that to go away for other things that may seem important but aren't.

I'd also love to see the continuation of support that we have given to our Local Fish Stores. Like Jon said, throughout my travels I have run into 0 stores that have a good relationship with clubs in their areas and it's because of the disconnect they have with their LFSs'. It's gone as far as Jon telling met at one point that it might be a good idea to not even mention my association with a club while I'm working. Like Jon said above, it is in my opinion that it is the things that make us different which also make us better!!

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pisces II;114800 said:
It would be great to get some "old timers" for the knowledge. Then you and I could feel younger:)
Now that's true in my case cause I'm just an OLD guy hehe.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
drtymnky;114917 said:
any reason theres no newsletter anymore?
The person who was doing it was also doing a lot of other BOD stuff, and unfortunately this is one of those things that could go by the wayside. This is one of the 100 different things though being brought and discussed with the new BOD.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;114918 said:
The person who was doing it was also doing a lot of other BOD stuff, and unfortunately this is one of those things that could go by the wayside. This is one of the 100 different things though being brought and discussed with the new BOD.
yup ..its been a while since we had one and it is one the agenda to decide the future of it

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
ya im thinking you might be able to bring one this weekend with heffe's appoval ...lol