What do you want for the club?

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;114796 said:
And, I'd like to see our club more involved with Jake Adams and ReefStock.
What type of involvement do you have in mind? Reefstock, like MAX and Reefapalooza isn't a non-profit venture.

I'm sure we could get Jake to do a presentation if we picked a date when he wasn't already booked. :)

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;114796 said:
And, I'd like to see our club more involved with Jake Adams and ReefStock.
What type of involvement do you have in mind? Reefstock, like MAX and Reefapalooza isn't a non-profit venture.

I'm sure we could get Jake to do a presentation if we picked a date when he wasn't already booked. :)

Well, I see an effort to improve the club as a good sign. I have been involved with this club in it's various names since 2003. I remember Del, Nate, Brian, and Kip among many others, hell, it was Nate that told me about this group when he worked at Marine Showcase! I think that at the same time that people are trying to reach out as an educational source, we must remember that this IS just a hobby. Don't take ourselves too seriously. Folks have left the group due to some of the holier than thou attitudes that have made their way in as well as just getting involved in life itself. I have way too little time to focus on tanks and meetings and such now days. It is a struggle just to keep a tank going! I have been away for a while, I don't even live in Colorado any more, but I still prefer to associate with this club as the clubs in the Puget sound area just SUCK! For the most part, MASC has down to earth people trying to keep a bit of ocean in their homes and sharing info to make it easier. PERFECT!! I also truly love the DBTC system. This had not started when I was involved. Keep it up! As for some of the ideas and all from the new pres, it sounds like someone wants a "private club" with some of the keeping this type or that out. Also, before anyone goes talking about a person or LFS's ethics, who is supplying the guideline for these ethics? Has anyone tried to tell said person/business there is a better way to do something? I don't mean to sound harsh or anything, but I always liked this club and have watched some great folks get sick of drama and stop coming around. The club should be open to all and everyone should try to help to build a larger group of friends. Who really cares about hosting the biggest conference or reef expo? It is more headache than it is worth and just makes a fun club turn into work. Let's just focus on having fun, with our tanks as well as a group.
Well, "that's all I got to say 'bout that". Thanks for listening to an old fart rant!
Bill

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
bmb527;116183 said:
As for some of the ideas and all from the new pres, it sounds like someone wants a "private club" with some of the keeping this type or that out.
Yup, I am a total elitist, truth be told I would like to have the club all to myself and keep all types out,.......lol,.....you dont know me very well!
I am the kept out, not keeper of others.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
ya you got el presedente all wrong ...he's a good guy atleast 10% of the time
better explain yerself i think you hit sore spot

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aaron has thicker skin than that.

5%

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am just curious where he took that from. I am no smart guy but I did not see that in any form.

wicked demon;114578 said:
Responsible, and respectful community of people to turn to for reliable information,
unfortunatly we can't give them that but i think they do pretty well
we can keep the riff raff out
Well put together events that have something to offer for many aspects of the hobby.
we'll figure it out eventually
most events seem to go pretty well
A resource for equipment and livestock that is unparalleled.
unparalleled to what ...obviously we can't compete with some national groups but we sure can try!
craigslist, ebay, garage hack artists
Endorsement, and target specific marketing for trustworthy businesses, many of which are local.
are we marketing for the club or businesses? ...money talks if you want the above things
Both, and if a business acts in an unethical manner it wont matter how much $ the have, we wont allow it here.
It is the replies in purple that I am talking about. These come from post #7 made by wicked demon. I don't mean to offend him, as I told him via PM just moments ago. I am just giving input from a person who has been a member of this club for over 10 years, as well as someone who has been involved in this hobby since 1985. I guess I would be considered an "old timer". Sorry if I got anyone's panties in a bunch, I thought this thread was asking for ideas and constructive criticism and I really didn't come to offend anyone! I am sure Aaron is a good guy, and I am very sure he means well and wants to be the best prez the club has ever known. I know how hard it is to do a volunteer job for a fairly large group, it seems very few will ever be happy!

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its all good, just felt a lil singled out there, and yes I suppose taken out of context, or read by a person who doesnt know me, those statements could have appeared negative in some way.
No panties bunched, no offence taken.
By this I meant we will do our best to protect our members by guiding them to reputable sponsors and like minded hobbyists. (took me a minute to get all "PC")

No problems! I am just glad to see that MASC, RMRC...whatever is still around and doing well! The club here is so full of elitist snobs I don't even bother. The LFS's here are redonkulous! They figure that a Pom Pom Xenia is worth $40 a frag...for 2-3 smallish stalks! We won't even talk about Zoa's, a 2nd mortgage is involved! Acros start around $80. These prices and they say "You get what you pay for". I say true! I get more by paying someone else and shipping it here! The last time I went to the club site in my area, the TOTM was a 240 with a LR wall covered in every shade of brown there is, and bubble algae. But they had every piece of expensive equipment out there, Starfire tank, Reeflo pumps, bubble king skimmer, enough reactors to make you cry, and a reefkeeper system made from unobtainium. But nearly anyone in MASC has a nicer nano! Well, good job with "my" club, keep it up!
Oh, I forgot to mention, I am starting to assemble a Sea Clear 240 bullet tank I got from MRICKEN before I left Denver. I fixed a cracked euro brace, now leak checking and then polishing while the stand is being built. Once the assembly starts, I will try to do a build thread here (if y'all don't mind). Since the shops here are lame, some money will be spent in Denver and shipped here, along with online buying. Looking forward to sharing! C-YA

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
we would love to see your build, especially me, I am going to be starting my 280 build soon so I like to see how others have set up their big systems.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What, no underpants? I don't see how you can possibly hope for profit with no underpants.