What happened to participation

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Walter White;n642167 said:
Nice! I bet a took a few tries to time that just right. Crazy how far they get out of the water.

With that, it's mostly luck and shooting on a hair trigger. They jump completely at random, so you have to hope and pray that your camera is pointed at the right area, and be very twitchy. LOL

There are times that I wish I had a bigger lens. Or a boat. Or both. They were way offshore that day, so I was stretching my 200 lens as far as it would reach, and was wishing I could zoom in more.

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm also still trying to get used to the new format. I had to switch from forum runner to tapatalk which I find harder to use. I'm sure in time I'll get used to it

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
As an "oldie" Just had too much going on 1 stressful job after another, so little to no time for fun stuff, now that i work for a real company i have time to be back. Between the new format and tapatalk, its been a bit of a challenge hahaha

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I figure that I am just too old school to help anybody anymore. I don't personally think that anything made in the last 5-6 years is better, or necessary, than stuff that was older than that. ...and everybody is into new stuff. Lots of the old-timers are like this and the videos that BRS puts out have replaced many of us.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;642211 said:
I figure that I am just too old school to help anybody anymore. I don't personally think that anything made in the last 5-6 years is better, or necessary, than stuff that was older than that. ...and everybody is into new stuff. Lots of the old-timers are like this and the videos that BRS puts out have replaced many of us.
So are you saying technology is making us not mingle or be as active.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I agree new vbulletin format is much more challenging and less user friendly. I myself would actually like to go back to the old version. Here is the challenge ....we will loose all threads and post created since the switch. Essentially new data doesn't mess with old platform.

I also think that the hobby itself has been much much easier to sustain with technology. This IMO makes the need for someone to engage with the forum/club less and less - outside of just enjoying the feeding community. We actually have a half dozen or so new members weekly, so we are growing I just think our site is chalk full of info so the need to chime in for personal info is less.

Meetings yes we need more meetings - but as suggested we haven't had many offering to host.

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 For more meetings and Saturdays are definitely better than Sundays. Maybe we'll have to host a meeting one of these days so everyone can come see the fish room.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;642242 said:
I agree new vbulletin format is much more challenging and less user friendly. I myself would actually like to go back to the old version. Here is the challenge ....we will loose all threads and post created since the switch. Essentially new data doesn't mess with old platform.

I also think that the hobby itself has been much much easier to sustain with technology. This IMO makes the need for someone to engage with the forum/club less and less - outside of just enjoying the feeding community. We actually have a half dozen or so new members weekly, so we are growing I just think our site is chalk full of info so the need to chime in for personal info is less.

Meetings yes we need more meetings - but as suggested we haven't had many offering to host.
I agree more meeting but not have host hurts the process. When there are meetings there is more social flow over. I hate new format personally I can not post any pics for the life of me on my new build thread

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tapatalk works well for me. Honestly haven't actually been on the website for a long time. I one hundred percent believe we need meetings. It is quite sad there is a decrease in hosts.

Maybe I missed it but was there a thread asking for hosts? Perhaps there are a few people out there that would host some. Another cool idea would be to do a tank tour (scmas did this) . If we can get 4-5 guys in same geographical area that want to show off their tank but not have to host a meeting for 4 hours l or so but instead have people come for an hour show off the tank/system then switch spots. Souds like it was a big hit on scmas.

Ivd love to see a diverse range of ood vs new school. I know jda (sorry to pick you out just came to mind because you posted earlier) is complete old school and would love to see the complete system vs someone new school kind of mind running leds new tech and not really pick the best but see what works differently.

I love this forum I try to stay as active as possible this is an invaluable source of knowledge and like mined people. It definitely has changed a little but still awesome.

Side note, my first memory of this forum is andrew telling me to pee in my tank to start the cycle. Glad that's still alive lol.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Tank tour would be awesome! Mine is a mix of old and new. Controller running the basic stuff, old school lighting with a smattering of led, big skimmer and sump. Water movement and no dosing of stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;642271 said:
Tank tour would be awesome! Mine is a mix of old and new. Controller running the basic stuff, old school lighting with a smattering of led, big skimmer and sump. Water movement and no dosing of stuff.
Id love to see the docs tank. Unfortunately just haven't had any time.
But maybe we could focus on did fern things on tank tours. This person loves leds and has nice show tank, another dosing kalk only, another 2 part, calc reactors, halides, t5 all those debatable subjects. Basement sumps only. Check out my fish room.

Shoot do a North tour Brighton loveland and greeley and end at gonzos. Then another do foco tanks. North denver, Denver, denver west, south (littleton and such)

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think this thread is bringing up good points. Hope it continues what made me love this club was family feel. Where strangers would help move tanks or hold corals. Faces with names. Btw are be having a bbq this year. I think events like that would be awesome. Potlucks or a chili cook off. It doesn't always have to be tabk related.

When SCMAS was having a tough time me and another guy started "fragtoberfest" it got excitement going again and from what I hear, they still do it. Maybe a small group can get together and come up with something inspirational?