Will clownfish host anything else besides an anenome?

well it more than the well being of the clownfish, which if put into a 3 gallon tank is obviously just thrown aside. a 3 gallon is very difficult to maintain proper water parameters. so if neglected for even a day or so that frogspawn will be dead and polluting your tank and therefore killing off everything.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think most of us have been in this hobby for long enough to know how to take care of water parameters. I have done a 1/4 gallon thriving Zoa garden that was set up for 3 years, and I know a lot of the other members have been pushing the limitations of Pico's as well. You are also talking to a hobbiest who has $20k invested into this hobby, and I dont invest that kind of cash into something I do not know squat about. So please know who your audience is before lecturing.

well i just base this all on that you would keep a pair of clowns in a 3 gallon tank. in my eyes thats an obvious beginners mistake. so therefore i thought-beginner. it makes it much worse that you know what your doing.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
chelseagrin sure seems you are simply trying to pick a fight now !!!!!!!!!!

am i the only one that seems to give a dang? a 3 gallon, which after sand and liverock is more like a 2 gallon if that is about 8 inches wide? a clown when full grown reaches 3-4 inches. and a pair of clowns. thats like putting 2 full grown powder blue tangs in a 30 gallon tank. when somebody does that people are all over them. this is exactly the same scenario just smaller scale. its obvious that clowns dont belong in such a tiny tank. and when people ignore common sense it bugs me.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jeff has already stated that they will be moving to his display. Zooid keeps a pair of his breeding clowns in about the same volume. Zooid's clowns are all beautiful and apparenlty happy if they are breeding, and they are always breeding !

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
dont you have a damsel in a 3 or 5 gal pico? That seems just as bad, if not worse because that fish was obviously wild caught

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think we will just put a carpet anenome in there for them to host and be done with it! J/k :p Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thanks for the defense though Chris. As far as clownfish go, I think a 3 gallon is fine. Clowns dont usually move around the tank like a tang would...instead they prefer to stay with their host. Also if I was a clownfish, I would prefer a smaller tank without other fish...that way you dont have to be on the defensive all the time. Thats probably why Zooid's clowns breed so well, and he's been doing it with success for only god knows how long.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree Jeff

this is ridiculous, i have created threads on several other reefing forums that are nationwide and everyone agrees with me. it is not ethic to even think of a clown pair in a 3 gallon tank! i had a single damsel in a 5 gallon tank but it was for 6 days. he has since been moved to the 35 hex after it cycled. look on every fish care website for a clown i can bet not a single one says its okay for even 1 to be in a 3 gallon let alone a pair.

sure it will work like i said, but the fish will hate it and the tank will suck and i can gaurentee it will not last long term. and i dont know what makes you think all damsels are OBVIOUSLY wild. because i have a friend that had a mated pair and he gave me a couple babies.

i can gaurentee if this thread were on another forum (reefcentral, thereeftank, 3reef) you would mercilessly beaten with the oncoming stream of posts chewing you out. i dont believe it is right, and i dont think anybody should. these fish are used to living in the ocean even if they are tank bred. even the largest tanks dont off the things the ocean does but we try our hardest. and this is not trying.

sorry if im getting worked up about this it just angers me sometimes. so i hope there are no hard feelings.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
im very confused about how you can be so educated and so correct about what size tank a fish needs when you cycled your tank with a fish, that is IMO one of the cruelest things you can do to a fish. Did you tell your other forums that thats how you cycled your tank? Because that would cause quite the verbal backlash about animal cruelty.

i think you need to read more carefully, i only had the damsel in the 5 gallon because my 35 hex had to finish cycling. i stated it in the other post.

Heffe01;113095 said:
I would have to disagree on that. Exoctic's displays their ecopico with 2 clowns, a mandarin, and a sexy shrimp. And that tank is only 5.1 gallons. 2 small clowns will be fine in a 3 gallon.
I would not make your decision based on what is pictured on manufacturer display pics. Have you ever seen what is on the biocube boxes?
http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/biocube.php

I am sure that the clowns will survive assuming you keep up on WC. I know someone who kept a koran angel in a 14 gallon for over a year, doesn't mean it is right. It's like keeping a human in a closet.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
chelseagrin;113177 said:
i can gaurentee if this thread were on another forum (reefcentral, thereeftank, 3reef) you would mercilessly beaten with the oncoming stream of posts chewing you out.
You listen to the brainwashed advise on reepcentral????

i dont, i do not even have an accoun on there. i was using those forums as an example of what heffe would have been treated like if he proposed this question on one of them.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
chelseagrin;113177 said:
this is ridiculous, i have created threads on several other reefing forums that are nationwide and everyone agrees with me.
i dont, i do not even have an accoun on there. i was using those forums as an example of what heffe would have been treated like if he proposed this question on one of them.​

This looks like a lie to me.

nadking;113181 said:
I would not make your decision based on what is pictured on manufacturer display pics. Have you ever seen what is on the biocube boxes?
http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/biocube.php

I am sure that the clowns will survive assuming you keep up on WC. I know someone who kept a koran angel in a 14 gallon for over a year, doesn't mean it is right. It's like keeping a human in a closet.
Sorry to quote my own post, just thought I'd add this link on the mandarin since you mentioned it.
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=670&cid=16

how can you assume that i was speaking about reefcentral on that post. i encourage you to look on their site for a thread that was written by this username. and that asks about clowns in a 3 gallon.