Winter Storm Warning....What Happens If ---

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

So with this "big storm" approaching us in the Front Range, I thought I'd pose a question. What do you all do in an emergency power out situation? God forbid..... if its more than a couple hours?

Other than the obvious but expensive option of a Generator..
What steps does everyone take to keep their thousands in coral & fish alive during a power outage?

Myself, I have a 600 watt power converter that I use for camping..of which I can hopefully plug in a few key items to keep the critters alive during a power outage....of course I have run my car periodically to keep the battery alive but I figure its best than nothing :)

How about you?

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a little generator to run all my tanks as well if needed. I however have not had to use it in 5+ years

cremer9

Butterfly Fish
I saw an aerator on sale @ bass pro for 9.99 of coarse i have no back-up.I have underground power by the fed center and all.so i don't loose it that often

120greefman

I am personally screwed if the power goes out. However my prediction is the weather people, like usual, are getting a little to excited. I think we are forecasted for a whole 6" in Firestone.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
uumm run around freaking outlol...last time we had the power go out it was out for 2 days where i live (longmont power sucks!) i wrapped my tank in like 4 comforters and it droped to about 68 everthing was ok...mad but ok

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
vortec on battery backup. If you don't have any options for electricity(I have posted this before):
1Take an picnic mustard bottle
2fill with hydrogen peroxide
3add lead fishing weight
4hook up air line and air stone
4put air stone in tank

The h2o2 seperates into h2o and o2, the o2 is forced out of the bottle, causes water movement and puts o2 into the water. Do not put it somewhere it pumps directly onto coral.

I have a gas furnace and my tanks are in the room with the fireplace for heat.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
vortech battery backup ....and blankets

crack a cold one and see what happens

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I also have a power inverter to run a couple things. Gas furnaces still need power to operate or were you suggesting your fireplace because your furnace wouldn't run?

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Whole house backup generator natural gas powered :)
well it sounds extreme but when you run a business where power is a preety important piece to the puzzle.....it sounds yea still pretty extreme lol.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
aztecdreams;139237 said:
I also have a power inverter to run a couple things. Gas furnaces still need power to operate or were you suggesting your fireplace because your furnace wouldn't run?
Fireplace if the furnace is out...whoops

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a UPS running the tank, and a few more laying around to keep the pumps and heater going, plus we have a ton of blankets if i need to wrap the tank

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
hmm ...makes my wonder if its possible to make my gas fireplace run when the power is out