Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
its electric :( ...but i wonder if there is a way to bypass it ICE

or just rip the damn thing out and stick a chair and newspaper in the hole

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;139256 said:
Remember that post that had h2o2 oxygenating the water? I vaguely do, anyone remember?
i remember shaun posting about his method do you mean something else? ...i dont remember anything else except the algae threads on h2o2

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If it's an electric or air valve you can usually bypass it electric is usually magnetic so just unscrew the magnetic valve and turn manually

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
SAZAMA;139260 said:
add garlic and stir with a wooden spoon...
fish for diner?
303travism;139261 said:
If it's an electric or air valve you can usually bypass it electric is usually magnetic so just unscrew the magnetic valve and turn manually
awesome info ..i have a manual valve before the fireplace but there is probably a electric inside since i have a switch i suppose

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bought a DC converter last time it went out...... long extension cord from the garage!!

I have an emergency kit with battery powered air pumps, batteries, hand warmers and zip lock bags. If it is going to be an extended outage I wrap the tank to help maintain heat then I can use the air pumps and add the hand warmers in ziplock bags if the temp drops too much.
With the new tank I plan on adding the battery backup for my vortec as well and will probably have a generator for my camper that I can use in a pinch.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
On my small 28g tank I have a UPS on one 6w pump and a 65w heater which lasts about 3 hours depending on how cold it is. After that I have a car battery on trickle charge and a 600W inverter that will run it for another 4 hours.

My big tank will get a 15kw whole house natural gas generator some day when its done. overkill yes but at least my home and more importantly my large investment will be protected and ill have peace of mind.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a small back up battery that I never use as it needs to be fixed. So if the power would to go out I(tank) would be toast(ice cube).

I got backup bubblers that run on D cells (maybe 24h). I thought I was buying the type that you plug in and only switch on when the power fails, but they are manual, so I need to look for some of the automatic ones. I actually had an incident where I lost a couple of fish when the GFCI got tripped in a power blink but I didn't notice it for 24 hours and the large fish and the delicate fish both suffocated. I noticed when I heard the damsel splashing at the top of the water. Both clowns were laying on their sides on the bottom gasping, but luckily they both recovered fine when I flipped the power back on. I hadn't noticed since I left for work before the lights came on and returned after the lights went off.

Also back to the CUC discussion, most of my cuc are carnivores/detrivores. I usually give my CUC O/N to work before I pull a fish out. Every time I've woken up to a skeleton, and have never yet pulled a fish out.