WP25/40's no longer available?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
It has gotten some online retailers to pull them though. I checked fragtasticreef.com and they were no longer available but the Houston retailer I order through hadn't heard anything about it. If its an empty threat it has worked in some locations.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A letter has not gotten the retailers to pull them. It is the threat of Tunze/EcoTech, or whomever, canceling their wholesale agreement. In the end these web sites know that Tunze/EcoTech have a proven track record of being a good partner whereas Jeabo, Jebo, Odyssea, etc. leave disappointed, or even mad, customers in their wake over time. And what could the margians be 20 bucks per and no ancillary products to sell - at least Tunze has a full line that is worthwhile? If you ran a business, would you risk losing Tunze or EcoTech for Jebo?

IP Law is a long and costly process that I doubt any Aquarium Company in the US could afford to pursue. Even in Texas, where IP cases are easier, the road is not easy. This is where even if the claim is 100% accurate, then the law cannot help you unless you have significant means.

Every threat is empty until somebody takes it far enough. Judges don't send cease and desist letters (nastygrams) - the make orders that you have to follow if you are in the USA. I think that everybody just laughs at nastygrams anymore. If a judge found that these things did violate patents, then it would be illegal to sell them. Until then, it is a battle of who has more leverage.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can relax about availability and dont need to panic buy. The C&D was a letter not a court order I believe and really only impacts US distrubution. (If they heed it rather than continue on unafraid of lawsuit.) Fishstreet and others that are based overseas still have and will continue to have them.

I'm tempted on a 2nd wp40 for the $56 group buy, but from what I've seen one is strong enough for 125 solo just about so I really want to see a wp25 group buy.

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
WP25/40's no longer available?

Pm me ur cell number or email. I'm on my phone and can't cut and paste the one for 25's. The coupon code is just 25 instead of 40.

David

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I get the whole IP issue and agree on the principle of protecting your design. I can say these WP pumps are a quality product and perform as well or better than my Tunze's. Reality is although we got a great group by price, even paying 2x per pump saves more than 50%.... That's a rather substantial savings... Tunze 6095 was ~$250 (without a controller) and WP40 was $60 with a controller = great value for the price. From what I visually see, there are a lot of differences between the Tunze's and WP's, but that's just my observation.