Go Fallow or Live with Ich

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's why I QT everything now no matter what. Mine happened from a mandarin goby and everybody said "mandarins don't need QT cause they can't get parasites". Those people were wrong.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MASC mobile app
I hear ya. All my fish, and all my coral go through qt. Not worth the risk getting something in the tank. Good job with your QT!!

Im a die hard QT person. I learned this the hard way when I first started, lost pretty much everything from velvet and ich.

I went fallow in my DT for 90 days. Every fish that has gone in there has been in copper for 30 days. Two rounds of prazi, and a general antibiotic for 7 days.

Any coral goes into a qt for 30 days. Multiple dips. I remove all corals from the plugs, rinse them, and glue them on my plugs.

I do this for all the fish I sell, and all the coral I sell. Those of you that have bought fish and coral from me, can see how healthy things are at the end of QT.

Id say go fallow, treat all your fish in a hospital tank. Then you know you are back to a clean display.

Just my .02 worth.
hello everyone, im new to colorado, former cali boy(que the natives expletive comments:) ) and to the club(obvi) i was reading about QT and noticed this from emeraldreef and i was a bit confused. So the fish that were brought in 5/15 on this list http://www.marinecolorado.org/threads/new-fish-have-arrived-5-15-18.26493/ have been in qt for 30 days? some say sold. That would only be roughly 2 weeks. im confused because you say in the above post I do this for all the fish I sell, and all the coral I sell. I feel this can be part of peoples QT problems when they believe a store or friend or whomever says thet qt but they might not actually qt

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thank for the inquiry. I always quarantine and medicate fish for 30-45 days, along with corals. I do allow customers to purchase fish or corals during the qt, as some people have their own qt setup, etc. They are totally informed if the fish I sell are done with qt or in qt.

I dont appreciate the insinuation that my fish are being advertised as quarantined and medicated and might not be. If you have a question of comment regarding my fish and corals, pm me directly.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am a believer that most sytems have ich. Unless you qt every snail coral and fish chances are it's there. I also think bigger problem than ich is internal parasites. If they can't get nutrition from what they are eating they have little chance of fighting other stuff off. There are a lot of foods out there now that have prazi in them and I have had great luck with these.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I am a believer that most sytems have ich. Unless you qt every snail coral and fish chances are it's there. I also think bigger problem than ich is internal parasites. If they can't get nutrition from what they are eating they have little chance of fighting other stuff off. There are a lot of foods out there now that have prazi in them and I have had great luck with these.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
+1 and even if you qt everything, you still could never be sure to completely get rid of it without treating them all with medications, which would kill them. Internal parasites are certainly a bigger issues, especially with certain fish types, like surgeons, and anthias, which almost always have some sort of parasite ime.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Internal parasites worry me a lot less since it's so easy to just soak some food in prazi and take care of the problem even in the display.

The more pressing issues why IMO quarantine is a requirement and not optional (I even QT mandarins) is because of the following

1. Place of no competition to get fish accustomed to your food and be less stressed

2. Place for stress to reduce before tankmates can pick on it and lead to its demise.

3. Place to treat and/or observe before something serious like velvet, brook, or flukes that can wipe the tank in 2 days and kill most of your coral because of the ammonia spike before you have a chance to treat

4. Easy place to dispose of fish without causing ammonia spike that could become a tank crash in the event the fish dies from any cause including the above.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app