Anyone interested in a group buy for Berghia nudibranchs?

Anyone interested in a group buy for Berghia nudibranchs?

• Yes! Help, I'm surrounded by aiptasia!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, if the price is right

• We don't need no stinkin' Berghia

• No, I'm planning to raise the pretty little anemones for fun and profit

• Total voters

artfuldodger

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
It doesn't look like there would be any conflict with the only other GB underway, so I'll propose one.

One of my tanks has developed an aiptasia forest that I'd like to clear cut before restocking it.

At MACNA last month I talked with an exhibitor(www.reeftown.com) that specializes in Berghias. The show prices they had were quite a bit better than what's currently shown on their website, with free shipping at $300. At the show price, an order of 60 or more would be about $10 each for the 1/2" "breeder" size (versus the $11.70 shown on the site). That's a pretty big number, but their recommendation is to stock with a minimum of 4, and up to 1 per 10 gallons.

I was going to call and see if they would still meet the show price if we got a large enough group together...so this is just to gauge interest at this point.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm in..... 10-15 or so... though could do a few more if needed. Nice to see you back on the site! :)

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
how many would I need for a 29 gallon nano?

artfuldodger

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Based on their estimating page (see their website for more) it looks like 4 unless you have a very high infestation. Apparently these guys are herd animals and are recommended to be kept with no fewer than 2 pairs.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Someone local, in Parker I think has them as well

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So that sight says my sixline will eat them:( Any one have any experience with this>

artfuldodger

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
That would be Becky...she used to work at Neptune's. Neptune's does still sell Berghias--they were my first choice, I checked on Saturday afternoon on the way home from the meeting..but theirs aren't this large (and they don't have enough to satisfy the need in my 75 rock tank...)

artfuldodger

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa, I just talked with Jeff at reeftown...I asked him about the six-line question. He said you're welcome to call him (561-733-3495) to discuss further, but here's the synopsis:

Wrasses (in general) pick at critters on the rocks all day. If they spot a Berghia they will probably grab it. They don't like the taste and will probably spit it out but the Berghia probably won't survive the attack. That said, the two work different shifts--the wrasses are actively hunting all day and find a place to sleep (under sand or in rocks depending upon species) for the night; the Berghia move as a group only at night as they hunt for aiptasia. The net is that once you get the Berghia acclimated and settled it, the two aren't likely to run into each other. Their website has an acclimation page that is worth reading...they strongly suggest releasing the nudi's in the dark by laying their container on a rock near some aiptasia and let them crawl out on their own.

Not specifically directed to your question, but of general interest, the pack does stay together for group hunting and mating. These 1/2" size are of mating age and will be generating little Berghias in the tank in short order...so long as they retain a critical population mass (hence their recommendation for a minimum of 4 even for small tanks.)

artfuldodger

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm going to give this one bump.

Jeff has agreed to extend the 25% MACNA discount until the end of October. That means that, if we can get to 60, the price for each 1/2" Berghia will be $9.75. For quantity of 30-59, the price would be about 10.12 each.

Overnight shipping is free (we're over the $300 threshold) for shipping in 20-count bags. To make sharing a GB easier, he said he can put them in bags of 10 but there will be a small additional shipping charge to cover the extra water needed.

If we get the order placed by the 31st, we don't have to schedule the shipping immediately (it might be a few weeks to fill a large order....)

So, I guess it is time for a commitment. Who is in (and for how many) at total cost of not more than $10.50 each in the bags of 10 (it could be less if we actually reach 60) ???

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
artfuldodger;120998 said:
KhensuRa, I just talked with Jeff at reeftown...I asked him about the six-line question. He said you're welcome to call him (561-733-3495) to discuss further, but here's the synopsis:

Wrasses (in general) pick at critters on the rocks all day. If they spot a Berghia they will probably grab it. They don't like the taste and will probably spit it out but the Berghia probably won't survive the attack. That said, the two work different shifts--the wrasses are actively hunting all day and find a place to sleep (under sand or in rocks depending upon species) for the night; the Berghia move as a group only at night as they hunt for aiptasia. The net is that once you get the Berghia acclimated and settled it, the two aren't likely to run into each other. Their website has an acclimation page that is worth reading...they strongly suggest releasing the nudi's in the dark by laying their container on a rock near some aiptasia and let them crawl out on their own.

Not specifically directed to your question, but of general interest, the pack does stay together for group hunting and mating. These 1/2" size are of mating age and will be generating little Berghias in the tank in short order...so long as they retain a critical population mass (hence their recommendation for a minimum of 4 even for small tanks.)
Thanks for looking into that for me. I might look into getting two to three then.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is that the only thing they eat will they die after all aiptasia is gone?

artfuldodger

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Berghia eat only Aiptasia. (Which is why they are more reliable than peppermint shrimp or copper band b-flies that may eat aiptasia if there's nothing more interesting around.)

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;121722 said:
Out of curiosity, since I haven't had time to research them....will they nuke your tank if/when they die?? I had a sea hare for a bit that began nuking my tank within 1-3 hours of dying.
dont think so ...they are tiny