Need a LARGE protein skimmer

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So our skimmer at school on the shark tank went out in the fall and we haven’t had one since. I’ve reached out to a few companies but have not heard back from anyone yet. If anyone has a large skimmer laying around gathering dust or that has some pumps that don’t work but the body on it is still solid we would greatly appreciate it. The tank is 540 gallons so it needs to be a big boy. Donation would be preferred as we don’t have a budget for the tanks. Let us know what you’ve got!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

Stithe

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I might have 1-2 large ones but not sure if they would be THAT large. Let me send you some pictures sometime tonight. I think I still have your cell in my phone somewhere.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you have height requirements? I might have a ASM G6, but it is tall... and a beast. I cannot remember if I got rid of it, or not.

FWIW - 2 larger skimmers will work better than one huge one. A pair of ASM G4s, for example, will crush a larger skimmer made for a 500-1000 gallon tank. They just have more contact time, water flow, air and more of everything. More smaller skimmers are also cheaper and you are not totally hosed if one of them goes out. The huge skimmer market sucks, IMO. There just has not been enough need for companies to get it right. The best one is probably the ASM G6, which is better than the large Deltec at a fraction of the cost and would crush a Orca or the like.

If you find bodies, Sicce PSK are wonderful replacement pumps that perform most excellently are long lived and not too expensive. Tunze HydroFoamer are perhaps the best, but they are SOOOOO hard to get right now.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Do you have height requirements? I might have a ASM G6, but it is tall... and a beast. I cannot remember if I got rid of it, or not.

FWIW - 2 larger skimmers will work better than one huge one. A pair of ASM G4s, for example, will crush a larger skimmer made for a 500-1000 gallon tank. They just have more contact time, water flow, air and more of everything. More smaller skimmers are also cheaper and you are not totally hosed if one of them goes out. The huge skimmer market sucks, IMO. There just has not been enough need for companies to get it right. The best one is probably the ASM G6, which is better than the large Deltec at a fraction of the cost and would crush a Orca or the like.

If you find bodies, Sicce PSK are wonderful replacement pumps that perform most excellently are long lived and not too expensive. Tunze HydroFoamer are perhaps the best, but they are SOOOOO hard to get right now.
We don’t really have height limits. I’m planning to add a 40 breeder next to the sump as the sump doesn’t have any space above it. I have a couple of smaller skimmers like an ASM G2 and a curve 5 or 7. That would be better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't have the g6 anymore.

Let me know what you end up with for a sump with size dimensions and stuff. I can sell some frags or just probably buy you something if we know that it will fit and not be an eyesore or anything.