New to the Hobby

Hello Everyone,

I am looking into getting into this hobby. My roommate has a Freshwater tank, but it doesn't really do anything for me. So I am going to try the SW thing. I have been reading the forums to try to gather as much info as I can so I will be able to make some knowledgeable decisions regarding purchases I will be making.

I am supposed to be looking at a 75 AGA reef ready tank that is on Craigslist either tomorrow or the weekend. I have read what to look for on buying a used tank, but I am open to any suggestions or feedback on what else to look for. Ideally I would like to setup a FOWLR tank then maybe progress to a reef tank once I have a better grasp on the hobby. Well permitting that I like it enough to pursue it further.

I understand that this hobby is not the cheapest but I am willing to take my time and do not need to have it up and running ASAP. With that being said I have noticed that there is an LED group buy going would it be beneficial to purchase these or hold out for an older used unit to light the tank?

Any info or recommendations would be appreciated.

Eddy

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello, welcome to the forums, yes the LED group buy is a very good deal, its like 30% off!!

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the forum.... If you don't buy the 75 I got a 90 with a 55 gallon sump 60 lbs of live rock and plus more that I an selling for 200 or 250 with the halide setup I have with ballasts

300 gallon mixed reef
90 gallon bowfront fowlr

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Everyone.

Are there certain brands that everyone would recommend staying away from? And brands that everyone would recommend? I know this subjective sometimes based upon peoples experience with one brand or another, but never hurts to ask.

On items such as:

Skimmer
Pumps
Powerheads
Heater
Lights
etc.

Also will 2 of the Group Buy LED lights be sufficient for a 75 or 90 gal tank setup to run a reef tank in the future?

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
2 would be plenty of light!!!
As for skimmers and such I believe you get what you pay for.
Fish only you really don't need much in my opinion fish only us no different than when I had my show cichlids.
Do your research on what fish u want cause if you want to turn it into a reef alot of fish can't be in a reef!

300 gallon mixed reef
90 gallon bowfront fowlr

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I love my SWC skimmer. Elite Reef has them.

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
welcome to the additction

the deal ReefKoi has on the leds is a steal.

do you have a link to the setup you are looking at buying from Craigslist some of us on here are Craigslist junkies and are always looking for a good deal.

just make sure you take your time with the purchase because if your not happy with your initial purchase you will be wanting to change or upgrade it within a year.

Here is the link on CL: http://denver.craigslist.org/for/2668968661.html

You posted it on the Craigslist deal thread, but I had email him before it was posted on there. I am not too fond of the fake wood trim, so I am hoping I can make it black fairly easy.

I definitely would like to get the LED lights, but would like to have a tank first. Unless I could easily resell them for what paid if the tank deal falls through.

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok yeah thats a great deal. i would make sure it does not leak before paying for it just in case.

yeah those lights hold a good resell value.