Polar opposites - Reef N' Pond vs. Aquamart

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
So I went out today with the intention to make my weekly rounds to the local fish stores in my area. My route is usually:

Todd's
Reef N' Pond
Key's
Neptune's

I rarely visit Elite Reef because it is sooo far north for me and not near any other stores. I have also not been to Aquamart in about a year. I used to go there pretty often, but they just kept going down hill.

By that same respect Reef N' Pond has long been my go to place. I have always felt that the owner (Evan) was a pretty good guy. He always helped me out when I had questions or even lent me equipment when things went bad. Their coral selection was always decent as well, and I have purchased many colonies and anemones from them.

Now it is time for experience today. I started by heading over to Todd's, which it seems suddenly decided to close on Sunday even though they have always seemed to be pretty busy on Sundays. So I really started my adventure at Reef N' Pond.

WOW, what a dissapointment!!! Ever since Evan went back to China, that place has gone to the dump. The guys that work there are nice enough, but that is about all they have going for them right now. Their coral flats are over run with kenya trees, and everything looks pretty sad. The selection was downright pathetic, half of the tanks were full of cyano or red slime, and even the used equipment section (which I have bought many an item from) was full of nothing but junk. This place is going down hill FAST!!

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum was Aquamart. WOW, what a difference. I remember what it was like before. It was never HORRIBLE, but it was certainly not worth the drive on a regular basis. Despite my past experiences, I decided to make the trip today, and it was well worth it. They have really turned things around there. I was amazed at all of the selection they had. Their coral flats were completely full of incredible corals, and their fish selection was AWESOME. I even bought a Rainbow anemone that I have been looking for, for a while now.

I will definitely be changing my route to add Aquamart and remove Reef N' Pond.

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree with you. I don't go to reef n pond anymore. Aquamart and aquatic art are my go to Lfs.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I still have not made it into Aquatic art, though I really want to. If I am correct, they are only open for limited hours, and I really don't know what they are. I usually go to the fish stores on a moments notice, so not knowing whether they are open or not is a bit of a pain.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Evan needs to come back. Those guys are nice, and that's about it. The store is really suffering.
I used to shop their used equipment section, but for a few bucks I can buy a new one. Not kosher anymore.

In the other hand, all of Aquamarts used equipment was excellently priced and quality products. They had some Maxspect LEDs and mh fixtures.

Sent using Forum Runner

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;168558 said:
Evan needs to come back. Those guys are nice, and that's about it. The store is really suffering.
I used to shop their used equipment section, but for a few bucks I can buy a new one. Not kosher anymore.

In the other hand, all of Aquamarts used equipment was excellently priced and quality products. They had some Maxspect LEDs and mh fixtures.

Sent using Forum Runner
+1 Evan made that store!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Punjab

Angel Fish
This sucks to hear. I worked for Evan for a while when I was in school in Denver and he was a pretty good manager as well.
I have absolutely no doubt that the real problem going on now is a break in the communication barrier. The actual owner of Reef N' Pond is Evan's dad, Bob. Bob is also a great guy and very knowledgeable about fish (he owns another store in Co Springs and a freshwater store off of Alameda). Unfortunately, Bob doesn't speak much english. He tries and is probably better than when I worked for them but if it's just a bunch of english-speaking, american guys in there then I can only imagine how difficult it is for them to explain a problem to Bob and vice versa.
They are also pretty frugal which I always thought was a strong suit because Evan could relay the reasoning behind some drastic new change and it would make sense.
I imagine if he could find some good mandarin speaking, knowledgeable reef enthusiasts he'd be back in action.

Punjab

Angel Fish
I don't remember the name and have actually never been there myself but Evan always told me that Bob co-owned a saltwater store in the Springs. I worked for them from 2004-2006 and things could certainly have changed since then.

+a million for Evan, reef n pond def not worth the drive more of a dive. Its very sad to see what had happened to that store. Very over priced used equipment and if you do find anything worth buying coral or fish wise its def not worth the price. New guys never follow up with return calls and not very knowledgeable. To bad prob won't last.

Keys is hurting pretty bad to, allot of the same coral frags fish is iffy. Says he's hurting pretty bad.

Aqua mart, seems to have turned around since new owner, staff are pretty big jerks though. Last time I was there had to wait 20 mins after filling my ro jugs just to pay finally just left 10 bucks on the counter and called it good.

Aquatic art, nice set up, Chris and Daniel great guys, just need better hours

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aqua Mart is a sponsor of ours. If you have an issue with them you can always contact Dave through our website.

Yesterday at the meeting at Aquatic Art I think I remember hearing that they would be opening up for one more full day.

I didn't mean to offend anyone thought I made great comments about the last two. Aquamart was just my personal experience, just thought it wasnt to great to wait 20 min to pay after asking 2 employees if I could just pay for water. Didn't mean to offend was not my intention