QT for Leopard Wrasses

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Who here has successfully quarantined leopard wrasses and what was your process for it?
I ordered a trio of leopards that hopefully will be in within the next week or two, and just want to make sure I am fully ready to give them the best chance possible. So curious to hear everyone's successes, and failures, with these guys
I will be including a pyrex dish full of sand in the qt for them, and planning on doing full rounds of prazi and copper power. What else if anything should I include that could help guarantee success?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You don't. You just risk it or don't order them (too late now, right :) ).

The sand will absorb all medicine or copper that you want to put in there. Hypo will kill them. They might not even use the sand and beat themselves to death before they find it. Sterile environments are not nice places for leopard wrasses.

They often need pods to eat at first, too.

If you want to isolate them in an established tank or fuge with sand and no meds, then that can help them get acclimated to the time zone (when to sleep) and get them eating.

These are some of the fish, along with some butterflies, that are just not really QT-able. I have never found them really all that disease prone, but who know what they can bring in.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Agree with JDA. When we get them in they go straight into tanks with sand and no meds. Theyre pretty hard to acclimate, shipping seems to be the worst on them. Its mainly a process of observation. If they’re eating and active they go right into clients tanks.

Spieg

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've had luck with placing a Tupperware tray with sand in the corner of QT tank. It will require more medication (assuming any is even needed), but worth the trouble to avoid the risk IMO.

Colored Sticks

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am QTed both my leopards successfully in meds. Copper and GC instead of prazi. I am about to do a third round which might be the last potters lep available most likely next week.

Sand will soak upper copper but not enough that you cannot control. Let me know if you need any help.

I followed this process ( this is my thread for documentation) that was aided by Humble : https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/ornate-leopard-wrasse-qt-process-questions.1333/

If you want more specifics on the daily details let me know. EX first things first is getting them to eat before therapeutic.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I am QTed both my leopards successfully in meds. Copper and GC instead of prazi. I am about to do a third round which might be the last potters lep available most likely next week.

Sand will soak upper copper but not enough that you cannot control. Let me know if you need any help.

I followed this process ( this is my thread for documentation) that was aided by Humble : https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/ornate-leopard-wrasse-qt-process-questions.1333/

If you want more specifics on the daily details let me know. EX first things first is getting them to eat before therapeutic.
Thanks, ya that is pretty much exactly as I was planning too. Especially with the slow ramp up of Copper Power, I think that part is almost as critical as the sand. Good note to ask about what they are eating ahead of time, although I'm not getting from DD, so may not know, but will ask anyway.

Colored Sticks

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, ya that is pretty much exactly as I was planning too. Especially with the slow ramp up of Copper Power, I think that part is almost as critical as the sand. Good note to ask about what they are eating ahead of time, although I'm not getting from DD, so may not know, but will ask anyway.
Who are you getting them from?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ordered through Mile High tides, but dont know who they get them from

Colored Sticks

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would assume Quality Marine, Sea Dwelling, LAX . I would not assume you are going to get that info, because I doubt they will be eating.

I would stock up on these items. I would assume they will kinda small.
1) bloodworms
2) cycoples
3) canaulus
4) hikari mysis ( small shirmp)
5) Live brine a last resort

don't worry about not eating till day 6.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya I have some mysis, and some brine shrimp. Will be sure to pick up the others ahead of time too